Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermapen on Airplane

Comrades,

I am about to go back home for T-giving where there is not an egg (yet).  I am still going to be in charge of the Turkey.  I have a T-pen that I love and would like to bring.  Do you think it is allowed to bring in a carry-on?  I do now want it to be stolen by the TSA.  Also, I do not want it messed up by scanners or anything.  Has anyone brought one on a plane?

Z

·

Comments

• Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 573
    I've had a bookmark taken away because it was metal with a blunt tip. So I'm going to assume the thermapen with its sharp point would absolutely be taken away. If not for the security agent to take it home for themselves. Don't risk it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • I was going to take mine on a trip this weekend but hesitated at the last minute because I thought they might take the temp probe as a usable weapon.  I'll be curious as to what you find out.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • I've taken them to fests but always in checked baggage.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    I had a rectal thermometer taken away from me once.  They were worried I'd be a pain-in-the ass.  :D

=)) =)) =))

i'd say if in doubt call and ask its not worth the risk imho 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • Mail/ship it to yourself, you still have plenty of time.

·
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 197
    I had a rectal thermometer taken away from me once.  They were worried I'd be a pain-in-the ass.  :D

I laughed so hard I farted!
    ·
  • Keister it and see if they can find it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • I travel almost every week. You ain't getting on a plane with that in your carry on. You can check it or mail it

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,141
    bigphil said:

No.  You'll get a verbal "OK" from HQ but the word will NOT get down to the TSA agent who confiscates your 'pen.  Put it in your checked baggage or mail it to your destination.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Botch said:
    bigphil said:

No.  You'll get a verbal "OK" from HQ but the word will NOT get down to the TSA agent who confiscates your 'pen.  Put it in your checked baggage or mail it to your destination.  
    so true. You can ask 2 of them standing right next to each other and get 2 different answers.

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,852
    edited November 2012
    At the risk of spoiling a good question, they took it because they know you are a pain in the ass. 

To the Thermapen question, checked bag only. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I had a rectal thermometer taken away from me once.  They were worried I'd be a pain-in-the ass.  :D

Keister it and see if they can find it. 

Nola got me laughing and Travis got me rolling!  Thanks for the laughs guys!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • I had a rectal thermometer taken away from me once.  They were worried I'd be a pain-in-the @#!*% .  :D

Keister it and see if they can find it. 

Nola got me laughing and Travis got me rolling!  Thanks for the laughs guys!
    I cannot recall seeing the word Keister used as a verb before. Well played Travis

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,046
    whew.  Glad no one started a thread on how to smuggle the family gerbil past TSA....

·
  • I had a rectal thermometer taken away from me once.  They were worried I'd be a pain-in-the ass.  :D
    Damn, TSA actually got one right
    :-bd
    I would suggest checked luggage or FEDEX to your hotel.

Luv ya nola........
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
    luv ya too, doc.  I got my drink on, in the shop watching MNF, building three spice racks out of cypress. 

·

touche my friend, good one!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    edited November 2012

touche my friend, good one!
    thankyouverymuch.  SWMBO said she would mark me as a troll for that :)  But I'll leave that up to ayaryan aka mcnuttley aka eggerinLA aka zippylip who's got me at a 207 troll count.  Lot of work to do that, what an honor.

·
  • Nope. T-pen will be confiscated. Check in or send it to yourself. When I have to fly I send my tools by fed x. Tools don't get near TSA
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,259
    207....you're crushing me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    edited November 2012
    look again
    323 trolls.  That's about as annoying as having a shoelace untied.

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,769
    Put it in a plastic bag, then hide it in a pair of dirty skivvies.  At least if it gets stolen, they'll have to earn it.  :-&
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·