Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Junk Ribs

Options
Not really sure what these are, they were generically called beef ribs, and were cheap.  They have been in my freezer, in baggies with off the shelf jerk marinade, for I don't know how long.

Done PS legs up, drip pans, and grid, at 230 for one hour when the top set read at least 160.  The bottom set took another 20 minutes to be reliably up to internal temp.  Last time I tried these we took them off too early, and they were tough.

Actually pretty darned good, and the sauce thickened up nicely.  Tender and flavorful, but about 95% fat and bone to meat.  Not sure I'll bother again.

Pics to follow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Pics

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Really nice junk ya got there Doc!  Heh, heh, heh!  Like a good relief pitcher, you picked up a "save".
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those look good to me doc!  When I do a standing rib roast, I always love the bones.  A couple of times I have saved the bones from a rib roast after carving, then threw them back on direct a day or two later and sauced.  They are quite fatty...but then again so am I. 

I'm guessing those are the same thing...the bones they cut a way when they sell bonesless ribeye roast.  I might try to find some of these junk ribs myself! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I used mesquite smoke.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not so bad. There clearly is some meat there.

Did the jerk flavor become more intense after the period frozen?

There's a place not far from me that sells whole steak sections, strips, rib-eye, etc. On occasion they will offer boneless rib-eye steak, which they cut out of the whole section. Then they sell the rack of bones reallll...ly cheap. First time I saw the sign saying .79/lb, I asked for 10 lb. Found that I had maybe a pound of meat. So little on the bones that much of it burnt. Kind of like jerky on a bone.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Don't know about intensified, but was thick and sweet and tasted pretty good.  Took about 5 big ribs to make a meal.  We freeze marinated meats a lot.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks like country style ribs...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Revisited.  Foiled and reheated, these were pretty darned good leftovers.  I think I would do these again, just recognize they aren't steaks, they're ribs with a fair amount of bone, fat, and gristle in ratio to the meat.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Leftovers

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    I'd eat that "junk" any day of the week.  ;)
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Yes send some of that junk my way, anytime!
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Doc, you must have the most interesting freezer in the country, you are always pulling something good out of it, mine is mostly frost and mystery meat.....

Looks good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Mmmmmm, mystery meat.