Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Butts Cook - What went wrong?

Well I decided to cook 3 butts (all boneless and about 3 lbs) this weekend because one large was not available. I was measuring the temps in the smallest one and decided to pull at 200 degrees. This was after 6 hours of cooking around 250 degrees. It seemed pretty tender when I removed it so I wrapped in foil and put it in a cooler w/ towels. I then stuck the temperature probe in the other butt and was surprised to see the temperature was only 178 so I decided to keep smoking. After about 2 hours it was only at 180 degrees and hadn't moved a degree in the last hour. I decided to pull and start the shredding process. All three butts seemed pretty tough to shred (even the first one which seemed tender when I initially pulled). Everyone raved about the meat but I was pretty upset with the outsome; especially since my last attempt produced tender fall off the bone meat. Any ideas what could of went wrong?

Comments