Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Boneless Chicken Breasts

2»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Thanks Cen-Tex. I could google it but you're a wealth of information. Will probably look into it. You're the Obi-wan of this forum....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

Nola could do a whole turkey if he wanted because he can choose the size of the bath. I could do the same turkey quartered up, but not whole because of the size limitations of a self contained unit

Not really... I have the same unit as Nola. The only way to cook a whole turkey would be to use a vacuum chamber sealer and even then it would probably not be safe to cook because all parts of the piece of meat must be in contact with the water. The cavity that would result after sealing a whole turkey would be a nest for nasty bacteria to develop... Maybe sealing after spatchcocking the turkey could work. However, white meat and dark meat have different optimal cooking temperature and time. Cooking a whole turkey sous vide is pointless and probably dangerous. I found a video a few weeks ago. I'll try to find it and post it.

paqman said:
    Nola could do a whole turkey if he wanted because he can choose the size of the bath. I could do the same turkey quartered up, but not whole because of the size limitations of a self contained unit
    Not really... I have the same unit as Nola. The only way to cook a whole turkey would be to use a vacuum chamber sealer and even then it would probably not be safe to cook because all parts of the piece of meat must be in contact with the water. The cavity that would result after sealing a whole turkey would be a nest for nasty bacteria to develop... Maybe sealing after spatchcocking the turkey could work. However, white meat and dark meat have different optimal cooking temperature and time. Cooking a whole turkey sous vide is pointless and probably dangerous. I found a video a few weeks ago. I'll try to find it and post it.
    Yeah, I've been doing my research.  Not because of the cavity, I figured out a solution for that (imagine a tube sock, pull it over the turkey and shove the end into the turkey.  But because of the reason of the dark versus breast cooking times.  I'm running an an experiment on a turkey cut in half....was going to start yesterday but got sidetracked.  Tonight I'm going to take one half and do a 24 hour cook at 160.  Hope the brining keeps the breast juicy (brining does that). 

Then take the other half, and do the breast separate from the dark meat, standard temps/times so I have a benchmark to compare against.
    One of my favorites is brining thick pork chops in an apple juice brine. After a day in the brine seal em up, put them in the water for about 4 hours or so and then finish them on the egg with a bit of cherry smoke, some sauce and nice marks from grill grates. They are moist, tender and you can taste all the flavours!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • paqman said:

good point paq. I guess he could spatch it but you would have to have amuch larger sealer than is normally available
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple said:
    Thanks Cen-Tex. I could google it but you're a wealth of information. Will probably look into it. You're the Obi-wan of this forum....

Not true. Obi Wan would never just make sh*t up the way I do :))
  • Is this the one you guys reccommend? Want to pull the trigger today.

http://cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide.php

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Is this the one you guys reccommend? Want to pull the trigger today.

Yep, that's the one pacman and I have.   There's another polyscience unit that's got the same heater power, half the pump size (which is already 5x too powerful) for $300 less.  Might be more practical.

Yep, that's the one pacman and I have.   There's another polyscience unit that's got the same heater power, half the pump size (which is already 5x too powerful) for $300 less.  Might be more practical.

You don't need a lot of circulation for SV cooking. Save the money. Mine does nor circulate at all and it works perfectly
  • Nah, you guys seem to research stuff pretty good. I'll go with the flow. Thanks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    I like the power head because it stores nicely (comes with a nice soft storage case) and you can put it on a 40 quart cooler, or an 8 quart pot, depending on how much stuff you're SV-ing.

agreed. Much more flexible
  • I like the fact I don't have to leave it on the counter with all the other crap I don't use. She won't let me leave the foodsaver out but we have four assorted coffee/espresso/cappuccino things that never get used and the stinking ricemaker

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Is this the one you guys reccommend? Want to pull the trigger today.

That one is currently out of stock.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • I have to order it in Canada. $525.00 + 13%

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

I have to order it in Canada. $525.00 + 13%

Where did you plan to order it from?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I like the power head because it stores nicely (comes with a nice soft storage case) and you can put it on a 40 quart cooler, or an 8 quart pot, depending on how much stuff you're SV-ing.

Centex - how big of a piece of meat can you fit in the Sous Vide Supreme?  Will a 8 pound prime rib fit?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I orderd this one: http://www.nomiku.com/
    A kickstarter project from some of the pepole behind the DIY SV scene.
    Griller from Denmark, Europe (BigGreenEgg Large, Weber Q300, Weber Gold 57cm)
  • dlk7 said:

Centex - how big of a piece of meat can you fit in the Sous Vide Supreme?  Will a 8 pound prime rib fit?
    I believe it should fit in the full size SVS. I have the smaller one and I've easily fit 3 2.5lb bone in ribeyes. The problem with an 8lb roast might be finding a bag and vacuum that can handle it. Might have to do 2 4lbers
  • Frachlitz said:
    I orderd this one: http://www.nomiku.com/
    A kickstarter project from some of the pepole behind the DIY SV scene.
    That looks really cool
  • nolaegghead
    Been eating sous vide turkey today and yesterday.  It's outstanding!

For "oversized" stuff:
    You can cut a couple bags up and "seal" them together to make a larger bag.  Use an iron and some wax paper, or the sealer on your foodsaver.
    paqman said:
    Yeah, I've been doing my research.  Not because of the cavity, I figured out a solution for that (imagine a tube sock, pull it over the turkey and shove the end into the turkey.  But because of the reason of the dark versus breast cooking times.  I'm running an an experiment on a turkey cut in half....was going to start yesterday but got sidetracked.  Tonight I'm going to take one half and do a 24 hour cook at 160.  Hope the brining keeps the breast juicy (brining does that). 

Then take the other half, and do the breast separate from the dark meat, standard temps/times so I have a benchmark to compare against.
    You don't necessarily have to cut up the turkey to cook it SV style. However you must use a liquid (like oil) to fill the cavity. We SVd this small pig using that technique. A vacuum sealer was not even required.
  • nolaegghead
    I ended up splitting the dark and breast meat into two different batches.  The dark I cooked at 178F for 10 hours.  The white was done at 147 for 2.5 hours.  It was divine.   The dark meat was tender - all the stringy connective tissue turned into gelatin, and the bones literally pulled out.  The breast meat was incredibly juicy.  I'm going to do the same - brine, sous vide - for the big family dinner (about 30 people) at thanksgiving.  I'm just doing one turkey - we get to compare to a traditional turkey (plus there will be a big ham).
    billybon said:
    paqman said:

You don't necessarily have to cut up the turkey to cook it SV style. However you must use a liquid (like oil) to fill the cavity. We SVd this small pig using that technique. A vacuum sealer was not even required.
    After you SV the pig, did you roast it off to crisp it up, etc?  That is hands down one of the coolest things I have seen in a while-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    "After you SV the pig, did you roast it off to crisp it up, etc?  That is hands down one of the coolest things I have seen in a while-"

After the SV cook, we put the pig in a rotisserie basket over coals to crisp up the skin.