Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic lid vs. Daisy wheel.....duh!

So I have been egging for about a year. I have only used my daisy wheel and have left the ceramic lid in the box. At the end of the cook I would just close the daisy wheel up and tightly close the bottom vent to shut down the fire. Has worked fine. Last night I saw the ceramic top and decided to use it. Duh!!! Closed down the fire so much faster and saved a significant amount of lump. I am such an idiot! Sharing just in case any others out there are as slow as me.
When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO

Comments

• Good advice, and if you have any gasket material left over from the last redo, put it on the ceramic top, seals off faster and fits better (tighter), won't fly off if you open the dome "aggressively". 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Also to preserve the DFMT, when finished with the cook just put it in the BGE and store it there til the next run.  Give it a shot of Pam or equivalent spray oil every so often and it does just fine.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    @Skiddymarker alluded to it in his reply: Be very careful lifting the lid with the ceramic top on. I've seen enough pictures on the internet of broken ceramic caps the fell off while lifting the lid that I take mine off before I open the lid. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    edited November 2012
    Zick said:
    So I have been egging for about a year. I have only used my daisy wheel and have left the ceramic lid in the box. At the end of the cook I would just close the daisy wheel up and tightly close the bottom vent to shut down the fire. Has worked fine. Last night I saw the ceramic top and decided to use it. Duh!!! Closed down the fire so much faster and saved a significant amount of lump. I am such an idiot! Sharing just in case any others out there are as slow as me.
    I feel your "stupidity" and raise you one.  I got my first egg over 15 years ago and just threw the ceramic top away. 

It wasn't until I joined this forum a few months ago, that I knew any different. Gave my old egg to one of my sons and needless to say, I'm using the ceramic top on this one. 
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    I would recommend this for everybody.
  • @ Badong -I would run a split strip of gasket on the very top of the Egg for an even better seal.

You have to be very careful in removing the cover when you have the ceramic top in place, esy to have it catch and drag it off and hear it crack.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• @badong what are you cooking that you have temp over 800 degrees?
    Boom
  • @badong what are you cooking that you have temp over 800 degrees?

I was wondering the same thing.  But since I don't see any evidence of heat coming out the top, I wonder if the picture wasn't taken on a cool day and that is just where the thermometer rests?
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

@ Badong -I would run a split strip of gasket on the very top of the Egg for an even better seal.

You have to be very careful in removing the cover when you have the ceramic top in place, esy to have it catch and drag it off and hear it crack.

Great advice in regards to the cover.  I'm very careful with mine, and still almost had it catch and fall off this weekend when removing the cover.

I will be adding some felt gasket to the chimney like pictured though. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I lined the inside of my ceramic top. I have no extra nomex on the egg but definitely cools down faster...also forms a cushion for the top.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I would caution against putting the extra gasket material on the Egg, and line the ceramic cap, instead (as henapple has done). The inside diameter of the daisy wheel is often different than that of the ceramic cap, and what may work for one, may cause the other to not fit, properly.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    I think it was actually a cold day.  Yes, we have those in North Texas occasionally. 

Anyway, my ceramic cap and daisy wheel fit nice and snug with the left over felt in place.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I never use my daisy wheel. Leave it in the box and all is fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Mickey said:
    How do you,adjust temp?
  • Zick said:

Mickey said:

How do you,adjust temp?

Bottom vent. I never use my daisy wheel unless I'm under 350•

XLBGE 
  • Interesting that some folks do not use the daisy, I seldom use the bottom vent, I control with the DFMT, it is so much easier - at eye level, doesn't stick or bind. I guess the key is to use whatever works for you. The egg is a chimney, so wether you limit air at the inlet or outlet, it is all pretty much the same. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I'm with Nurse and Mickey. I don't use the daisy wheel unless I am doing under 350 or so. Easier to only worry about bottom vent instead of both.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
    Seasons Greetings to ALL!!! Great conversation for two reasons. First, I went to the BGE headquarters last week here in the ATL for the Thanksgiving seminar and brought this topic up myself as a new BGE owner. Their solution? Gasket around the chimney. Secondly, I was attempting 2 pies for Thanksgiving. The fatal flaw in my planning (this time) was dropping the temp from 425 for fifteen minutes down to 350 for 30 minutes..."Seriously? good luck with that in a short periode of time", I said to myself. However, this conversation has given me an idea for the ceramic top. Now I just need to locate it in the basement. Good luck with that too I guess:|...(Our basement is where our four year old daughter finds "lost things" as in from the Tinkerbell movie series.)
    Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I don't use my DW unless I have to, ie under 300ish. 

Look at the airflow as a hose, you can adjust with just the faucet, or with the faucet AND a spray gun at the end.  I use just the faucet knob.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I needed a good laugh, thanks.  :))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Use both all the time.
  • Speaking of dumb, I was cleaning my egg the other day, had it around 600 or 700 degrees for a few minutes.  Opened up the dome and singed some of the hair on my forearm lol
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Stargaze said:
    Speaking of dumb, I was cleaning my egg the other day, had it around 600 or 700 degrees for a few minutes.  Opened up the dome and singed some of the hair on my forearm lol
    Monthly occurrence for me I think...
  • Stargaze said:
    Speaking of dumb, I was cleaning my egg the other day, had it around 600 or 700 degrees for a few minutes.  Opened up the dome and singed some of the hair on my forearm lol
    Welcome to the club
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA