Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

CI seared filet

One of my favorite steaks is a pan seared filet.  Used to do them on the gasser and side burner in a CI skillet, and tonight decided to try on the Egg.  Fired her up to 600 and heated up the CI griddle direct (will need to re-season the flip side).  Applied a generous dusting of Texas Roadhouse Rub to the steaks, added a few tablespoons of clarified butter to the hot griddle, then seared the steaks for 2 1/2 minutes a side.  Removed the griddle (be very careful, as it's got a lot of hot grease and not much of a lip to hold it in), then finished to 125 IT direct on the grid.  Some of the best steaks I've ever cooked.  Great crust, melt in your mouth tender.  The Texas Roadhouse Rub and butter gave a great flavor. 

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    They look great! Niiiice crust! Would have loved to see a cut pic! Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Ask and you will receive.  This was after setting for a while.  The one I ate was a bit rarer.  These will be tomorrows sandwiches for lunch.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    Looks great! Good cook Tj!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,890
    Those do look great TJ!  I don't have a CI grid...but I do have a CI skillet!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Good idea, TJ.  The only time I've used a skillet with a steak is when I make Steak Diane, and I need the steaks to be in a skillet when I burn the brandy off.  I like your idea of searing them in the pan, then cooking them on the grid.   =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Looks good...Nice crust I used to blacken steaks in a similar fashion. I like the variety...
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    Now I want a griddle..looks good
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·