Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbecued Lamb Shank

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum

Today was dry run day. Earlier in the day I tested out the Cowboy Rib-eye recipe to see if I wanted to make it for my Dad’s birthday next weekend. It was a resounding success. For supper I wanted to try some Barbecued Lamb Shanks from Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Cookbook, before making them for guests. I was so full from the Cowboy Rib-eye I pushed supper back from 5:30 to 7:30. I also made some interesting Garlic Mashed Potatoes, from the Cook’s Country TV show. I was trying them out on my wife and I, to see if they would be the potatoes I’d make for this Thanksgiving. They were interesting in that you don’t boil the potatoes in water, like typical mashed potatoes. Instead they are cooked in a concentrated solution of garlic & butter. I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story, other than to describe the end results.

This was a bit of a mixed bag. The lamb was perfectly cooked, had a great tasting bark and tasted wonderful from the oak chunks I used. But parts of it were very, very tender and moist and other parts were quite chewy. I double checked the temps with an instant read thermometer and it was cooked perfectly. the only way I’ve made lamb shanks is to braise them. I must admit this was the first recipe I’ve seen for low and slow. The mashed potatoes were a big success and they are now on the menu for Turkey Day.

The spice paste used: Ginger, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, oregano, paprika, salt & pepper, soy sauce,EVOO & Dijon mustard.

I used an immersion blender for the spice paste: Easier to set up and easier to clean up afterwards.

The lamb shanks get trimmed of fat & silverskin before receiving the spice paste.

The lamb shanks have been brushed with the spice rub & will go into a ziplock bag & spend the next 12 hours in the fridge.

The lamb shanks get removed from the fridge 30 minutes before they are to go on the Egg. I've inserted a temperture probe into one of them for my Maverick ET-732. I'll monitor the temps from the kitchen while I work on the Garlic Potatoes.

The lambs shanks are on the Egg which has been set up for indirect grilling with the plate setter installed legs up. There is a drip pan on the plate setter & I am using the s/s grill grate. The temps have been stabilized at 250 degrees & I am using oak chunks per the recipe. The shanks will spend the next 75 minutes on the Egg.

The garlic potatoes use 2 pounds of Russet potatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks, sugar, unsalted butter, half & half, salt, minced garlic & water.

The butter had been melted & the garlic & sugar have been added. The garlic will cook down, deepen in color and have a more concentrated flavor.

The potatoes have been cut up into the 1/2" chunks & are being rinsed with cold water.

The garlic has deepened in color & is beginning to clump together. It is time to add the water & half & half to stop the garlic from cooking any further. 

This is where this recipe is different than most other mashed potato recipes. Instead of boiling the potatoes fully submerged in water, they are partially submerged in the garlic/butter solution. It is almost like they are being braised. They are simmered for 25-30 minutes & get stirred every 5 minutes or so to help coat them with the butter/garlic.

The lamb shanks have reached 130 internal & it is time to pull them. They will go to the Kitchen for a 15 minute rest where they will reach 135 degrees. I purposely took these a little higher in temperature to help tenderize them.

The potatoes are cooked. Some more butter & half  & half are added to the pan & the potatoes are mashed & are ready to eat. 

Besides the Garlic Mashed Potatoes the Lamb Shanks were served with some mixed veggies.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    You nailed it again Jim! You have a very busy egg!! :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jfm0830
    Options
    @cazzy: Thanks. This is certainly the right grill to be busy with. I think it will outlast me!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    WOW, another winner from Jim!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Jim,

That looks great.  I have not made lamb shank...but have eaten them in restaurants and pretty sure they were braised.  Just curious if you would do this again.  You mentioned there was some variation in the texture.  Any ideas how to get around this, or do you think it is the nature of the beast?  (The beast in this case being this particular cut of animal).  Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks guys!

@SmokeyPitt: I've made braised Lamb Shanks many times before, to great success. I know I cooked that lamb shank correctly to temperature. I took readings in several places because I wasn't sure what where the thickest part actually was. I even took the temperatures about 10 degrees higher than I normally do, just to give the shanks more grill time time. I will admit, I was surprised when I saw a lamb shank recipe that wasn't for braising. So yes I think it was the nature the beast.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    2 splendid meals in 1 day. Way to go.

The shanks might have had some tough spots, but they certainly look juicy and colorful. Not a bad outcome for something that really is rather hard to cook. Besides, w. all that flavor, having to chew makes the taste even fuller.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Looks terrific, Jimbo!  Gonna hafta keep my eye out for a nice hunk of lamb.
  • jfm0830
    edited November 2012
    Options
    @Dyal_SC: Tx my friend. I seem to recall from distant past memories that you were a relative lamb newbie and your wife wasn't a big fan. If I am right (or even if my memory fails me), I might suggest reserving this cut for braising and you get yourself a nice leg of lamb for your Egg. While good, this shank was not necessarily the way to win over new converts to the lamb cause. I am glad I made it and did enjoy it, but I will make something else for the folks I was planning to make lamb for.  As an interesting aside I had a lamb stir fry today made by my FIL that was excellent. Gave me some ideas when I start wokking on my Egg.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

@jfm0830 - another stupendous cook. You have really taken to the Egg, like we knew you would.

Love the picture of the rinsing the potatoes, the way you caught the water droplets. Super cool.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    Options
    @Griffin: Thanks. You were more far more confident about my abilities than I was. I knew the Egg was a great rig, but I had only direct grilled on a gas grill before this and I thought it was going to take me a while to catch on. But the temperature control on the Egg is easier than my charcoal smoker & to some extent even easier than my gas grill. Still learning to overcome/deal with the fact that every fire on a charcoal grill is a different fire from the last one and the next one. It is definitely a challenge, but it is making me a better cook. But bottom line I am having a ball & that is what counts!

RE: the water photo. That is what is so great about digital photography. It really costs you nothing to experiment and take lots of pictures.

Jim
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    If I ate lamb, I'd sure dive into that !  Unfortunately, I grew up on old mutton and the slightest whiff of it makes me gag.  However, I can appreciate an outstanding job when I see one.   =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Another great/inspiring/beautiful cook Jim.

You're definitely raising the bar around here.  That's what makes this place so great.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio