Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick 1st Turkey

Options
Tried my first turkey tonight, set up with PS legs up, with grid on top, just above felt line.   Had the stoker set at 325 with lump and 1 chunk of apple, 12# turkey.

I was expecting about a 3 hour cook and it got to the temp in under 2 hours!!!  Did I do something wrong? 

Some questions..

For those that do direct cooks, I am assuming that you do not put any type of drip pan in?

Definitely need drip pan for drippings and the gravy, I noticed with the PS in, I had the ceramic feet underneath the drip pan, but the parts of the pan that was hanging over the PS burned and ruined any hope of making gravy tonight.  I have the AR Rig with the oval stone, seems like that would be better to use then the PS... thoughts?

I saw someone else make a comment about doing 2 15# birds versus one bigger one, I only have a LBGE, can that hold 2 birds?  I could see doing direct cooks, but not sure if its possible doing indirect with the PS or the AR Rig.  Good chance I may do another turkey in an electric fryer and add another bone in breast to the egg towards the end.

Now that being said, my testers thought it was the best damm turkey they had ever tasted, and my "chef opinion" was that it was slightly over cooked.  Now I just need to figure out how to get the smell of roast turkey in my house during the day, wife loved the turkey, but she also loves the house with the sweet aroma of a cooking turkey during the day.

here are some pics of the cook today.  Thank you for the advice!!!

Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
2.JPG 112.1K
3.JPG 102.1K

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good looking bird. Did you brine, inject or marinade? I did a breast yesterday and I'm glad I did. Cooked at 350, which I think is too high. Good luck at thanksgiving.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't know why the bird finished fast. FWIW, the turkeys and geese I do for holidays always seem to finish faster than I want. Maybe the warm ceramic shell in all directions cooks better than a metal lined stove.

I do usually let my birds come to room temperature before cooking. I suppose that cuts at least a half hour off.

By definition, direct cooks do not have a drip pan.

I can think of 2 things to improve the drippings. Put some extra fluid, maybe some wine, in the pan to keep the drippings from scorching. Find a pan that does not extend over the PS or stone, and let some of the drippings fall where they may. Won't hurt anything.

It is hard to cook a turkey uniformly. Maybe you had some bites that were a little past done. I've given up on doing a whole turkey just for the presentation. I separate the the light and dark, and cook them at different temps, so each get done a little closer to its own best.

As far as the aroma in the house goes, what if you browned giblets, maybe a few necks, and or wing tips, and used those to make stock for stuffing cooked in the oven.

Good luck w. T-day.
  • pileit1971
    Options
    This turkey was not brined, was just a frozen bird from grocery store.  I will brine for the big day and will get 2 fresh birds, one for the egg and one for the fryer.

I may try the AR rig with the long oval stone to prevent the dripping from burning.

And I am going to try the stuffing receipe that has been floating around last couple days, with wings and thighs on top of the stuffing in the oven.

Thanks for advice!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio