We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers
for a backyard grill out, some brats
before a baseball game or searing a steak
for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!
Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340
I'm having trouble maintaining the correct temperature when smoking. This is the procedure I am using and, obviously, something is wrong with it:
- Get the BGE up to around 650ºF (turkey this time)
- Open the BGE
- Add wet wood chips
- Add the place setter, legs up.
- Place the turkey in a pan on top of the place setter
- Close the BGE.
- Leave the bottom vent open
- Shut the daisy wheel as far as possible to retain the smoke
- If necessary to keep the smoke from escaping, shut the vent a little.
- Try to keep it at least 225ºF during the smoking stage.
The problem is that the fire is choked and often takes forever to get back up while I try to keep the smoke going.
Do you have a better "recipe" for smoking? Mine stinks.