Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Goose- How to cook the breasts

Options

My son and I each took a goose tonight. Now we need to figure out how to cook them. Anyone have a suggestion on internal temp and a good setup for it? Thanks!

Comments

• SmokinBandit
    Options
    If it is a Spec, I like to cook it like a steak. Good sear on both sides, then a couple of minutes indirect heat. Let sit for a few minutes, then slice it up.
    If it's a Snow or Blue, throw it in a gumbo.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    It's a canuck. Not sure if that makes a difference.
  • ashevilleegg
    Options

here's what i do, and it is fantastic:

cube goose into even sized chunks.  marinate for about an hour in a mixture of olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt, pepper, red wine, & any FRESH herb (i normally use rosemary).  cook in a grill wok until medium rare. 

good luck & enjoy

• duck_hunter
    Options
    Good goose is all in the processing and the prep.

Did you pluck them or breast them out?

I usually breast them out and make sure to get the legs, goose legs are excellent too.

Brine for an two hours in salt water flipping once, soak in milk for 4 hours and marinate in Italian dressing overnight, it is a process but seems to prevent any gamey greasy complaints I used to get.

Then prepare it like you would any other red meat.

Last night I did pulled goose, in the dutch oven on the egg at 175, covered the goose with brewed coffee and overnighted it, checked it once 4 hrs in to make sure there was still enough coffee, shredded the goose added bbq sauce and served on buns with colby cheese melted over it, awesome!

Grilled like steak is good, in an ABT is good, goose is an awesome meat, 

congrats on the hunt!
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Are Canucks in season there? Where are you?...gotta avoid the area.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• kevinhville
    Options
    Are Canucks in season there? Where are you?...gotta avoid the area.
    Now that's funny right there... :))
  • Little Steven
    Options

They taste alright but give me gas =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    edited November 2012
    Options

@ Duck_Hunter- we only took the breast meat.

@ Little Steven- Certain Canucks are always in season. But these birds that you guys export to Michigan are limited to special dates and times.

Thanks to everyone- even if it was just a response for a laugh!