Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memphis Dry Ribs and Chicken (lots of pix)

Options

I went to Memphis this week on a business trip and had the chance to visit Rendezvous.  It's one of those hole in the wall restaurants featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  The dry rub and the sauces there were out of this world.  I ended up picking up a bottle of their rub while I was there.

Tried the rub out on some St. Louis style Ribs tonight, along with some Chicken Legs...

I made the mop just like Rendezvous does...with some Vinegar, Water and the Rub...

I premarinated the Chicken Legs in the mop as well, and let those marinate for a couple hours before throwing them on the BGE.  I used the AR and grilled everything directly on the raised AR rig, over charcoal.  No smoke is added, but you get tons of flavor from the charcoal, mop, and rub...

I dusted everything down with the Rendezvous rub as it all grilled up...

Here is the Chicken finished....

And here are the Ribs...  I gave those another coating of the Rub once they left the BGE...

Served them up with some Homemade Fries and some leftover Smoked Mac n Cheese...  Some of the Mop Sauce was also spooned over the finished Ribs...

Everything was veeery good.  The Vinegar and the Rub go together perfectly.  Good stuff!  ;)

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Nice pics, good looking cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Niiiice cook! I remember that spot from Triple D. Ribs look good...makes me want to do dry ribs!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I love Memphis dry rub ribs & yours look excellent! It would be interesting to see how the real rub compares to some of the reverse engineered versions in recipes I've made. The other vittles look great too.

I am a bit surprised you were able to do them direct. The first time I made them the recipe called for direct grilling and I had all kinds of problems with flare ups. Massive flareups. I was doing 4 racks and I couldn't move them fast enough. Any other time I made them it was indirect and a 5 minute direct sear at the end.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks good
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    What temp direct, and about how long do hey take his way. I have eaten there many years ago for a wedding rehearsal dinner. Cool place with great ribs.
    George
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options

Thanks, guys and gals! 

Jim, I had no issues in the least with flareups.  That's one of the beautiful things about the BGE, and it also helps to have the meat raised up with the AR or grill extender. 

gte1, I found Rendezvous' technique online HERE...  I cooked mine for about 1.5 hours at 350 deg f dome temp.  I flipped, basted and dusted every 15 minutes or so until they were done.  They had just the right amount of tug when they were finished, and the meat came clean off the bone.  They were different than my usual ribs, but in a good way.