Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Cheek success

Found a place that had beef cheeks, and bought the last package. I'd read they could be one of the hardest meats to cook. I decided to do 1 cheek on the Egg, and another sous-vide for a couple of days w. a finish sear.

There was lots of really tough connective tissue all over the cheeks. I trimmed away a good bit. There was still a very thick seam of connective tissue right thru the middle left.

I Jacquard'd the piece, and rubbed it w. S&P and (a little too much) sugar, Let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Got an Egg up to 250, and placed the cheek raised, indirect, as usual for lo-n-slo, w. some hickory. At about 2 hours, it was 170F, and I foiled it w. a splash of wooster. At 3 hours, it was over 200F. Unfoiled, and boosted the temp for another 1/2 hour.

The end result was just fine. The cheek had reduced in size to about that of a large burger. My wife and I shared bites. Very smoky, with a smooth, gelatinous mouth feel. I suppose a lot of people would find the texture somewhat peculiar. All of the connective tissue had either melted, or become soft enough to easily chew. Would have been great w. some onions on a bun.
BeefCheek.jpg 163.2K
·

Comments

• gdenby,

Looks really good! I have only ever had pork cheeks and they are the bomb. Have to talk to my butcher.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,466
    edited November 2012

gdenby,

Looks really good! I have only ever had pork cheeks and they are the bomb. Have to talk to my butcher.

Steve

I was a little surprised at how well it turned out. Very long thick muscle bundles w. silver skin, membranes and ligaments all thru. But it was fairly thin, and I suppose that let the heat penetrate it completely.  Before foiling, it was still sort of rubbery. After the foil, some places were almost buttery.
    ·