Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Rib-eye - Best Steak I've Ever Had

Options

Hopefully I have not worn out my welcome or lost my touch, because this post is the best steak I have ever had. I say this because my last post on my first BCC on the Egg & some Hermit Cookies on the Egg for dessert garnered no comments: BCC on the BGE & Hermits for Dessert

Today I wanted to try an experiment leading up to my Dad’s birthday next weekend. I told him I would make him one of the best steaks he’s ever had on my new Egg. I was going to make the Rib-eye with Shallots & Garlic from the BGE Cookbook which I’ve posted here. Up until today, this was the best steak I’ve ever had. I decided to try a Cowboy Rib-eye. It is a 2 pound, 2” thick bone in prime grade rib-eye from a local high end butcher shop. I’ve made these before on my gas grill and they were one of my favorite steaks. I wanted to see how this cut would do starting on the cast iron grate & finishing on my Half Moon Raised Grid. I made a slightly different recipe than I’ve made before, this one was called Cowboy Rib-eye (logically enough) and came from the Grill It! cookbook by Chris Schlesinger & John Willoughby two well known chef’s in this area. 

I’ll let the pictures tell the most of the story & I will cut to the chase: This was the most amazing, incredible, fantastic.....steak I have ever had. It had a wonderful crunchy and tasty bark on the outside and was so moist and tender on the inside. This was the moistest steak I have ever tasted, but it was not at all runny. It has been moist when made on my gas grill, but this was a whole ‘nother league. It was so tender you almost didn’t need a knife-it was smooth as butter. Definitely give this cut of rib-eye a try on your Egg

The rub was simple but tasty: Cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt & pepper.

Now that's a steak. A 2 pound, 2" thick, bone-in prime grade rib-eye. The grill and the ground shook when I plunked this bad boy down on the grill.

The steak was removed from the fridge 30 minutes before grilling, rubbed with olive oil all over and then the rub was applied.

The steak was to be served with a condiment made from whole grain mustard & diced dried apricots.

The steak is on the cast iron grill grate for some direct grilling at 550 degrees. The Half Moon Raised Grid is on for the indirect portion after the  sear. You will note I wrapped the drip pan in foil for easier cleanup of the pan.

The steak has been seared for at total of 8 minutes turning a quarter turn or flipping every 2 minutes.

The steak has finished the direct portion and will now finish indirectly on the Half Moon Raised Grid. One of the nice things about the new Maverick ET-732 is the probes are now rated up to 700 degrees instead of 400 degree in the ET-73. This made monitoring the finishing of this steak indirectly at 550 idiot proof.

The steak is at 127 degrees internal after an additional 30 minutes. It is ready to come off and it will rest for 5 minutes until it rises to 135 degrees internal.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This one is better than my memory. By taking a picture of the timer on my iPhone and the thermometer, I know the done temp for this cook and how long it actually took. Always good if a lot of time elapses before you make a recipe again.

The steak has rested for 5 minutes and is at 135 internal. Here it is served with some Steakhouse beans & the mustard/apricot condiment.

Once again let me just say this was the best steak I've ever had. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !! Try one of these thick bone-in rib-eyes for yourself.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That's a heck of a hunk of meat.  Nice cook!
    Options
    I'm in love.  :x
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Wow! That thing is a beast! Looks awesome. Definitely bookmarking this one !
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    love thick steaks, always say if you cant eat a whole one then split a big one. your last pic is beautiful

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Fantastic. That's looks amazing. One thing I would change: no sides! Ha. But I am highly interested in a steak like that.
    Boom
  • DawgDays
    Options
    Looks fantastic! What did you rub it with beforehand? I spy chili powder, S&P, ground coriander, but what's on the far left?

Also -- looks like you're on top of the fire ring (as opposed to removing it and searing on top of the fire box) but can you confirm?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Nice cook Jim!  Cowboy rib-eye is a great cut of beef as the beef flavor right off the bone is exceptional.  Thanks for posting.

Excellent pictures!!  That one will make the 2014 calendar for sure.  ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Wow wow woW

Jim you inspire us, that is beautiful and so well documented. Keep em coming brother!!!!!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I did this for my second cook back in June.  It is a must for all to try!!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    That's is an awesome looking steak! Love bone-in ribeyes.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    I'm just leaving for a nice restaurant with friends---makes me wish I had cooked.  Also--makes it hard for the restaurant to impress.
    Great job
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Beautiful - I'm doing one tomorrow.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Village Idiot
    Options

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    Options
    DawgDays said:
    Looks fantastic! What did you rub it with beforehand? I spy chili powder, S&P, ground coriander, but what's on the far left?

Also -- looks like you're on top of the fire ring (as opposed to removing it and searing on top of the fire box) but can you confirm?
    The missing ingredient was cumin. All three cowboy ribeye steak recipes that I've used all call for cumin. One of my favorite spices anyway.

The cast-iron Grill grate is on top of the fire ring and a half Moon raised Grille grate is sitting on top of that, which raised the steak up at about the gasket level.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice looking cook, Jim. 
    Very cool.  I love it when a plan comes together.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DocWonmug
    Options
    You're definitely welcome here.

Nice pictures. Great looking cook. You ever do a reverse sear? I have not tried it yet, but am ready to do so on my next steak cook.
    LBGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Jim, I do not appreciate the fact that I did not get an invite.  :(  ;)  That steak looks unbelievable. 
  • jfm0830
    edited November 2012
    Options
    DocWonmug said:
    You're definitely welcome here.

Nice pictures. Great looking cook. You ever do a reverse sear? I have not tried it yet, but am ready to do so on my next steak cook.
    While I've never done a reverse sear with my new BGE, I have done them using a combination of my smoker and gas grill. I've smoked tri-tip, porkchops, and a lamb roast, and then finished it off with a reverse sear from my gas grill.

While I have always managed to get decent results doing it, reverse sears make me nervous. When you do the sear  first, you make sure you have a good sear and then finish the roast off indirect and take it to your target temperature. With the reverse sear you have to correctly predict when to take it off to start the searing process. I am always worried about over or under shooting. Once you've done a recipe a couple times you have a feeling for when to pull it and start the sear, but somehow they always feel like a crapshoot. So far I've done alright, but it's more luck than skill. Or at least that's how it feels to me.
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Jim, I do not appreciate the fact that I did not get an invite.  :(  ;)  
    Sorry Dyal. I must've sent your invite via a PM to the old forum and not this one. I guess that's what happened with the Barbecued Lamb Shank that I made for supper too. I'm getting ready to post those pictures soon too. I must've posted that invite to the other forum too... Yeah, that's the ticket.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Delicious, exceptional, excellent. =D> =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    =P~

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Options
    That steak looks unbelievable!! Been wanting to try a big cowboy cut ribeye, don't know if I can compete with that though.
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    Fantastic cook! Great photos and details as well. You are an amazing contributor to this forum. Please continue to share.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Steak and eggs for breakfast for me now, thanks a lot Jim! All I have is 2 little prime filets though :( Ohh well, it'll have to do.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• jfm0830
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thanks so much guys & gals for all your comments & words of encouragement. Also thanks for all of your posts here which allowed me to learn about the Egg both before I owned it and now after I bought it. 

@michigan_jason: I'd like to feel sorry for you, really I would. But with 817 posts under your belt, you still haven't learned not to visit this place on an empty stomach? :-/ 8-|
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    Thanks so much guys & gals for all your comments & words of encouragement. Also thanks for all of your posts here which allowed me to learn about the Egg both before I owned it and now after I bought it. 

@michigan_jason: I'd like to feel sorry for you, really I would. But with 817 posts under your belt, you still haven't learned not to visit this place on an empty stomach? :-/ 8-|

Point taken, I have learned, and learned, and learned....
    :)) :D

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• erniemcclain
    Options

I have a question, when you start with such a fabulous steak, why do people in general use so many things for a rub?  When it comes to beef, I personally love the taste.  If that were my steak, give me some salt and pepper.  End of story.  This is not a knock against you but a question in general. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)