Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vension Backstrap recipes?

My dad bagged a doe last night and is offering me one of the backstraps. I'm totally geeked out to have some wild game to throw on the Egg, but I don't have the first idea what to do with it. Ideas?

Comments

• Cook like steak. Sear and then slowly cook it to 135. Don't over cook it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I'm sitting in the stand right meow. Seen 6 does and 3 bucks. One was a shooter but it was real early and I couldn't get a shot.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Chicken Fried !

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• RAC said:

Chicken Fried !

One of my favs. It in strips and fry that stuff.
  • Thanks for the tips. Will one backstrap give me enough meat to try it both ways?
  • You bet.
  • Tenderize it before you batter it to fry.
  • I do like Travis said, cook about med rare and I marinade in allegro wild game. Best part of the deer!
    Boom
  • otter
    otter Posts: 340
    Did some last night. One CI pan did onions and mushrooms, cooked awhile and then put in a small can of beans. In another CI pan I put in some butter, the deer I cut up in strips dusted in seasoned flour, cooked so butter didn't burn. Not on the egg , but sure is good.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Havent tried this on a whitetail but this simple recipe works great on Axis deer backstrap. Put a very light coat of olive oil and cover the whole strap with Uncle Chris' steak seasoning. Marinate over night and grill like you would a steak. Do not overcook. My family is not much on wild game and they lap this up. Tastes like filet.
  • I love the eggheadforum. Y'all rule. Thanks.
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174

I had one by myself earlier this spring and I think it was the best piece of meat I've ever eaten. Not that I cooked, it but that it was really that good.

I coated the strap with a good olive oil, then salt and pepper. Then I rolled it in panko garlic and herb. First I seared the backstrap at 600 for about 3 minutes per side. Cooled down the egg to about 400 and then placed the backstrap in a CI with olive oil and garlic in it. Sauteed the meat and the panko got a nice crust on it.

When I served it I drizzled the left over oil and garlic onto the meat and it was amazing!

Enjoy!

• DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Cut the backstrap into strips about an inch shorter than a slice of bacon, about the width of the bacon and maybe 3/4 inch thick.  Lay each strip out on top of a strip of bacon (thin cut bacon is best) and roll it up and secure with a tooth pick.  You can also put a couple jalapenos or other peppers on it so they get rolled up in the bacon too.  I marinade it allegro's original and Italian dressing for a couple hours.  Pull them out and season with sale, pepper, and garlic and cook hot and fast on the egg.  You want it medium rare to no more than medium.
  • Here is how I prep my straps

1) Remove the silver layer from the meat.

2) Cover with Italian dressing and brown vinegar.

3) Dust with cayanne and sea salt.

4) Refrifgerate for at least 24hrs.

5) Grill to medium rare and serve hot. (never place in a warmer or it will get tuff)

1A) Sometimes I wrap with richards bacon, philly cream cheese, and jalapenos.....mostly when my wife is hungry for it I prefer just the venison