Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Very Different Take on Steak and Eggs

Options
First off, a big thank you to Ayayron for the link to this!!! CURED EGG YOLKS! http://hardcorpsfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/12/cured-egg-yolks.html I started by laying the yolks in the cure mixture (kosher salt, sugar, smoked paprika). Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Gently cover the yolks with the rest of the cure and cover/refrigerate for 24 hours, then remove from salt and gently brush off excess. At this point, the texture is like dried apricot. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Wrap in cheesecloth and hang to dry for up to a week Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos The only way I've really seen them used is grated over a salad or charcuterie plate like you would Parmesan cheese, so that's what I did....bresoala with arugula greens simply simply with evoo and sea salt and then used the microplane to grate the cured yolk. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The grated yolk definitely added a saltiness and texture that is reminiscent of Parmesan cheese...a great way to bring a simple dish over the top.

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I don't know if I'm disgusted or hungry after reading that. But I'm certainly interested ha
    Boom
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Interesting - not sure it's on my to do list.  Thats what I like about this forum.  Learn something new all the time.
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like it might be something that is not for everyone, and that might be the case, but if you didn't know, you would have no idea that it was salt cured egg yolk...easily mistaken for a salty cheese. I've been on a curing kick lately so seeing that link, it was a no brainer to try.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Masterful and inspirational, Mighty Quinn.  My hats off.  (applause)
    Thanks nola....you seem like you've got the curing/charcuterie bug. I highly recommend you trying this. I followed that blog's recipe using the variation with the paprika...really simple stuff and a cool way to take an already nice plate up a notch.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Nice one, MQ.  Nothing like expanding your horizons.  That's what I like about this forum.  There are more imaginative cooks here than any other forum I know.

That, in no way, implies that I may try this.

I am VI, and I approve this message.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thanks VI...I agree about the imaginative cooks here. Lots of inspiration all over the board.