Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium Egg, New or Used

Options

I can get a new medium, with nest and plate setter for $861.00.

I can get a demo wth the the same stuff for $743.00 .

This is with sales tax. 6%

Is it better to get new? I would save  about $117.00 with the demo.

I have a large but want another for dual temps and a traveler.

Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Does the demo come with a warranty?

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Yes, warranty included
    Pure Michigan
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Have you considered a small instead of the medium?
    I have 2 larges, med and small and use the large and small lot more than the medium.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If it comes with a warranty then I would definitely save the $117.  It has been a while since I priced eggs...but those prices seem a bit high; but I guess that may depend on your location.  I think Large egg demo packages were $725 at eggtoberfest this year.  Don't think they included the plate setter but still...a large costs a good bit more.  I would expect a medium to be a little lower. 

Show this to your dealer and haggle him down! 

Agree with Richard about considering a small...especially if you are considering it for a traveler.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• otter
    Options
    I had a guy that has both and he thought the medium was better, he thought the small was to small ?
    Pure Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a large and I'm now convinced that a small would be the ideal second egg size for us.
    Options
    Small/Large combo here. Love it. Haven't traveled w the small yet, gotta get this herniated disc under control 1st.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    As long as it has the warranty I'd save the money and go for the demo.

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    Demo. I can't think of a reason to get the new one. By the way, I like my medium but probably would not have gotten it if I planned on traveling with it. It's more substantial than it might look.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Large/Small here and love it! Have traveled with my small and its very easy for me to load in my car.

I would opt for the demo though. I got my small at a fest and it was not used. Everyone goes for the XL's and Large eggs so its quite possible you will be just as lucky.

In regards to the the small being too small, I have done 2 racks of ribs, 10# turkey, 10# shoulder and 2 tri tips on my small. It's bigger thank you think with a lil imagination. ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I have large, small and mini.  The mini is for traveling (I can carry it).  The mini and small are used when cooking for the two us. There is more than enough room to cook a full meal on the small.  The large is fired up when doing large family cooks.  All three were fired up last thanksgiving.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • otter
    Options
    OK, Looks like a small may be the way to go. I think he has a small demo also.
    Cazzy, do you remember how much you paid for your small?
    Pure Michigan
  • cazzy
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I don't remember but @Mickey would know since he coordinated the Salado EggFest.

I had every intention to throw my egg in a table and I got a small woo and stone from Tom (CGS) at the fest. My price was basically for a naked egg.
  • otter
    Options

Ok, Mickey you out there?

Do you know how much a small demo goes for ? I think this guys wants a C note for a new nest.

Does that sound right?

Thanks

Pure Michigan
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    If you plan on travelling the small you might want to look into the EggKarten (sp?) instead of a nest.  They looked really handy.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2012
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137281/is-this-a-good-package-price

$499 back in Feb ;)

If you follow the link for DizzyFest the small package is $530.  

Google-fu.  Waaaa-chaaaa! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    Options
    And there you go...I knew the info was there but know time to GoogleFu as I was trying not to be so late to work. Lol

I think I paid $449 since I didn't get a nest.

The EggKartens are nice and are well made.
  • otter
    Options
    Small demo is $449.00 w warranty, no nest. Looked at Karten's, they are about $100.00 plus shipping. Still would use around the house except for summer vacation, weekends in motorhome. Decisions, decisions, looks like most of the eggers w/ more than one egg like the small, it would be a easier traveler.
    Pure Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Whatever size you go with, get the demo over a new one and save the money for eggcessories.

Large/mini owner here and its perfect for the two of us.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I agree with @Griffin, the demo has the same warranty benefit as a new and the money saved can be "invested" in goodies. I've also noticed the "skip one size" phenomenon. If you have an XL you tend to add a medium, if you have a large, you tend to get a small or mini etc... Recently, I have been told by my dealer that they are selling same sized eggs to repeat customers of Large and Mediums (maybe to reuse the add ons?) 
    Portability is a concern, usually served by smalls and minis.

Think it through and get what works for you. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!