Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gas smokers any ideas?

GK59
GK59 Posts: 501

Has anyone purchased a gas smoker lately.  I still see the need for cold smoking the likes of sausage or jerky. Also as a backup since a second egg is not in the budget.

My old Brinkman was used for the first time in over a year and on it's last leg.

Thanks for any input.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2012
    I've never heard of gas smokers.  But I googled it and found a gas smoker forum/thread.  Those guys might be a better resource for info on those than here. 

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?16-Gas-Smokers
    edited November 2012

No need for a gas smoker.  Just made some great Jerky this past weekend on my egg and have done it several other times.  I had no problem holding my XL at 160 for 7 hours, perfect for "drying" the marinated top rounds strips.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Thanks COS & NEH

May have to do a small trial batch and see if I can pull it off.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• nolaegghead
    edited November 2012
    I'll smoke my jerky in my cold smoker (egg is the smoke source), then I'll dry them using the open oven door method - open the door a crack, turn the oven on until it gets to 150F, then shut off.  Repeat every 15 minutes.  They never get hotter than 100-110F and you get a nice flavor/texture. 
    edited November 2012

No need for a gas smoker.  Just made some great Jerky this past weekend on my egg and have done it several other times.  I had no problem holding my XL at 160 for 7 hours, perfect for "drying" the marinated top rounds strips.
    Choke, what is your method for maintaining that temp? Jerky is on my to-do list.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @nolaegghead - if my oven has a bread proof setting (100'F) would this work as a dryer?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    @bigwader - that would be perfect.   I've actually been a lot happier with the jerky batches that I didn't smoke for whatever reason.   Either way, drying the jerky without cooking it makes a HUGE difference in texture and flavor - tastes more authentic, and less like dried, cooked meat.

I would recommend using some curing powder (prague #1 or insta-cure or pink salt - follow instructions!) if you do any cold smoking.