Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza 2 Ways (pic heavy)

Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 1,554
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Decided to use bread flour this time since we had it on hand, normally we use AP Flour and it seems to work fine but what the heck, can't hurt. Dough: 2 - 3 Cups Flour 1/4 Tsp Salt 1 Pkg Rapid Rise Yeast 1 cup 120 to 130 degree water 2 TBSP Olive Oil Mix 1-1/2 Cups Flour with salt, yeast, oil and water and blend for a minute on low. Then scrape bowl and mix on high for several more minutes slowly adding flour until a ball forms. If you want thin crust use immediatley but if you want thick crust let it sit for 45 minutes or so. Meanwhile the egg indirect on the top of the A/R at about 500 Degrees for about an hour to make sure all the ceramic is heated through. Tested the stone with IR gage and it read 510 degree so the pepperoni, black olive and onion went on first since it was for the oldest boy minus the onion on his half. But first this is why you always burp the egg. Photobucket Photobucket No Flash Photobucket Ok so now here is the PBOO pizza Photobucket On the Egg about done Photobucket Inside Pic Photobucket Crust Photobucket Next up was leftover bbq spatchcock chicken pizza. Sauce was Blackberry Blaze BBQ Sauce with chicken, onion and cheese. Photobucket Photobucket About Done Photobucket Inside Photobucket Photobucket Crust 2 Photobucket Photobucket Pretty amazing but after the first pizza cooked for 15 minutes, the stone had cooled of to 445 degrees. Let it sit for a bit and waited til it came back up to 500 ,which was probably around another 15 minutes. The bread flour was a huge improvement in the crust. It was light, crispy yet chewy and just a much better all around flavor.
NW Iowa
·

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 3,541
    Your album is set to private I can't see pics.
    ·
  • Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 1,554
    edited November 2012
    Not sure the difference I did the same thing with the iPad as I did with desktop but the iPad pics seemed to work.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Looks like some great pizzas! Cool pictures burping the egg. I like tossing in a little semolina in with bread flour or 00, but no need to change it if your happy with the result. Thanks for sharing!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • @solson005 - thanks. What does the semolina do?
    NW Iowa
    ·
    Gives it a Little bit more taste and crunch, I use a Jamie Oliver recipe that calls for 2 1/2 cups of flour to 1 cup of semolina. Something to try if you want..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • Thanks, may pick some up.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • Try King Arthur bread flour, even better.

Pizza's look great.

Edina, MN

·
  • @budgeezer - will see if the tiny grocery store sells it. Thanks
    NW Iowa
    ·
    I'm with @Budgeezer If I don't use 00 flour I use King Arthur Bread flour and semolina with both. Target should have it along with any good grocery store.
    ·
  • K Thanks
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    Show off! Nice looking pies, Ben. =D>

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • @Griffin - Thanks
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • I add about 2 tbs of fine ground corn meal to my dough mix.  I like the texture the corn meal gives the crust. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • @samferrise - I get some of that because i put it on my Peel.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 534
    Have been making pizza fairly regularly on my LBGE in the 8 months I've had it, and this bread flour recipe is by far the best I've had. Made the dough and threw it on the Egg right away for thin crust at 500 on PS legs up and raised stone for 13 minutes. Perfect crisp on crust. Thanks for sharing!!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking pies. Loved the pics showing "why you burb" the egg.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • @greeno55 - thanks its our go to.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • @tulocay - definitely need to be careful.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • PSHomePSHome Posts: 28
    Nice gasket.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,032
    Those pies look great!  Thanks for all the details on the dough.  I think tomorrow night is pizza night.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • @pshome - Thanks. Its a rutland, far superior than the original egg gasket
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • @smokeypitt - thanks, its works well for us. Normal recipe yields 2 13" pizzas depending on thickness.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • Wow!  Great pictures!    =D>

And I'd love a bite (or 20) of that Blackberry Blaze BBQ Sauce Pizza with chicken, onion and cheese!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Thanks Kristi, the sauce is great, little sweet ,little heat
    ·
  • What is the setup for the egg, I can see the stone on the grid, is the PS below it or just raised?
    ·
  • What is the setup for the egg, I can see the stone on the grid, is the PS below it or just raised?

I have an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store. No platesetter, just a stone on the top of he AR.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,300
    I dig the pictures. thanks for sharing.....

amazing no camera shake from your hand either with the quick look, given potential for flashback......lol,

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • @tjv - pure confidence. :D
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,248
    Beeeeyootiful!  :)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Dyal_SC said:

Beeeeyootiful!  :)