Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cast Iron grate

Is it necessary to season the cast iron grate?
·

Comments

• I didnt do that with mine. Didnt see a reason too.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • Just thought I'd throw this out there, I recently bought this after market grate and love it.

I felt that the stock grate tended to get clogged a little at times and the air flow isn't as good as when you use this other grate.
    ·
  • SundownSundown Posts: 2,894
    My assumption is you're talking about the cooling grate/grill.

I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and it's never been seasoned even in the beginning. I went over to the local welding supply store and bought a $5 stainless steel welders brush and use it after every cook. I do an occasional 600º clean out burn and still haven't ever had any rust problems.

When it begins to look nasty I do a burn.
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Stargaze said:
    Just thought I'd throw this out there, I recently bought this after market grate and love it.

I felt that the stock grate tended to get clogged a little at times and the air flow isn't as good as when you use this other grate.
    I don't think this is the grate that the OP is asking about.  He is talking about the grate that you cook on.
    ·
  • My bad, I don't know why I thought of the charcoal grate.  
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,452
    I just got at hot as heck, put a lil vegetable oil on it and got to cooking on it. I don't even think that was necessary as the grease from rendered fat and regular use season it just fine.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,677
    You really should season it, but just cooking on it will season it eventually.

·
  • Cast Iron is cast iron. Would you season a new skillet? Yeah it will get seasoned if you cook on it enough. Are you going to use it exclusively or just from time to time?  I just bought a half round CI tray for veggies and I felt like I needed to season it. But what do I know...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,211
    I just bought a bunch of cast iron pieces from the Lodge Outlet while on vacation.  They are all the pre-seasoned variety.  I'll probably still season them before I hit them with some food action this weekend.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • Stargaze said: My bad, I don't know why I thought of the charcoal grate.   @Stargaze you were right, because that's what the grate is. 
    @atbarr, the grid, cast iron, stainless or porcelain is the thing you cook on, the grate, CI or stainless, is the thing you build a fire on. There is no reason to season a cast iron grate, it will soon be exposed to temps far beyond the benefit of any seasoning. A cast iron grid, should be seasoned like any other piece of cast iron that touches your food. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·