Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Terminology question

If I cook something indirect with no wood chunks - am I grilling it, baking it, or smoking it?  What is the difference between just cooking something and smoking it?
·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited November 2012
    My thoughts (YMMV)

If you cook indirect without chunks, you are baking (or roasting).
    If you cook direct with a hot fire, you are grilling
    If you cook low and slow, indirect, with wood, you are smoking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,020
    Agree with VI...except sometimes I think people associate temp with smoking regardless of whether or not additional wood is added. For example, 275 or under is "smoking temp".

I struggle with the difference between roasting and baking. One thought is it is just a matter of what you are cooking. A hunk of beef at 350 is roasting; an apple pie at 350 is baking.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,414
     I struggle with the difference between roasting and baking. One thought is it is just a matter of what you are cooking. A hunk of beef at 350 is roasting; an apple pie at 350 is baking.
    Yes, the terms seem to be just a language convention. Nobody roasts a pie. But I do associate baking w. somewhat higher temperatures. A pizza can be baked at 600, but a piece of meat will be broiled or seared.

And other things become confusing. BBQ is always cooked in the presence of smoke, But smoking, more strictly speaking, is always done at a lower temperature than 'Q.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    Would indirect with smoke at over 350 be smoke roasting?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Smoasting
    ·
  • Griffin said:
    Would indirect with smoke at over 350 be smoke roasting?
    No.  Technically that's called "burning your gasket".   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
    What's a gasket?

Richardson, Texas

·
  • So, you been doing some smoke roasting, huh?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·

Yes, but I think some pizzas and steaks took care of the gasket.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,616
    edited November 2012
    Ah, English - the hardest language to learn (or so it has been said). 
    I agree with VI, keep it simple. 
    "If you cook indirect without chunks, you are baking (or roasting).
    If you cook direct with a hot fire, you are grilling If you cook low and slow, indirect, with wood, you are smoking."
    The question remains regarding roasting and baking - If an oven or an egg, set-up for indirect no smoke, has a stable temp of 350, and you put in a pie, cookies, lasagna or a potato with the skin on, we usually say we are baking. Put in some cut up potatoes or vegetables, peeled or un-peeled with some oil and herbs, poultry or a piece of meat and we are now roasting.  Great question. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I cook on mine!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,777
    i do low and slows direct raised grid all the time, with or without wood i would tend to think its smoking as long as theres some lump
    ·
  • In my convection wall mount oven, baking means the heat is generated from below the food.  Using the roasting setting results in heat from the burners both below and above the food.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
    ·
  • I keep it pretty simple.  Every night I just go out back, fire up the egg and cook dinner.  Not sure what to call it.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,984
    both use dry heat to accomplish the task of cooking.  The Joy of Cooking defines roasting as a subset of baking. Baking works through using convection to cook food. Roasting uses the same application of heat, but not entirely through convection, as little convection occurs in solids.

Reluctant Gourmet explains the difference as: " You generally roast food that has structure already, solid foods such as meats and vegetables. You generally bake foods that don’t have much structure until they are baked: cakes, breads, pies, casseroles, crème brulee, etc."

As long as it's tasty, I'll partake.
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    So what am I doing when I do my ribs @350 indirect with wood?
    George
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,257
    edited November 2012
    Best definition I have ever heard is that if the item has a fairly solid form it is roasted. If it doesn't have a fairly solid form it is baked. Roasting usually uses some fat as well. Think "baked potatoes" vs "roasted potatoes"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    Cooking "raised direct" (high in the dome) combines grilling and roasting/smoking.  Definitely not the sear associated with "grilling" but you can get a nice brown surface on your chicken or burgers.  Results similar to "smoking" with a big drum smoker without an indirect piece.
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,552
    I call it all "Egging"
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,666
    I call it "pairing".

When cooking direct, I prefer a extra hopped IPA or a dry Japanese brew like Kirin or Sapporo.

Cooking indirect, a sipping bourbon or diet coke and bourbon are preferred.

Pizza (hot indirect) takes a lot of concentration - requires an insulated mug, lots of ice and either a rum or vodka based concoction.

·
  • I call it "pairing". Cooking indirect, a sipping bourbon or diet coke and bourbon are preferred.
    I must partially disagree NOLA, Indirect cooks take much longer and therefore should start early with a Bloody Mary or two, the bourbon drinks don't start until you reach the stall!
    B-)
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,666
    I call it "pairing". Cooking indirect, a sipping bourbon or diet coke and bourbon are preferred.
    I must partially disagree NOLA, Indirect cooks take much longer and therefore should start early with a Bloody Mary or two, the bourbon drinks don't start until you reach the stall!
    B-)
    I'll concede the bloodys are a good idea - at least if it's in the AM.... :D

·
  • SigPSigP Posts: 25
    Beer in the morning -- Bourbon in the afternoon.

·