Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Practice!!!

So I posted earlier that I am cooking pizza for the high school girls basketball team for my wife. Well tonight was the practice night. We bought some pre-made crust from Kroger and I fired up the egg. Well when I got the temp up there was a lot of smoke. Turns out if you cook a butt and turtle eggs on saturday there is a lot of grease left in the egg. So i had a unplanned clean burn tonight. After the burn, I reloaded and got the temp to 600. Here is the outcome below. You see some char on the outside crust. I had the temp too high i think. Anyone else use pre-made crust? What temp do you go at? I am thinking 450 for the second practice pun on Sunday. Thoughts, comments?  image

Comments

• What level are you doing the pies at?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What's the bottom look like? 

I like a little char on the crust.  You might want to rotate the pizza 180 degrees half way through.

Raise the stone up as high as you can get it.
    Wow....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I do my pizzas at 500-550 tops. Takes a little longer but oh well. Also as stated above its always good to rotate a couple times on the stone.
  • jrog74
    jrog74 Posts: 42
    Ahh, rotation. Did not do that. 

Sorry i did not take a pic of the bottom, but it was a little on the dark side. 

The stone was above the felt line, but i have gotten it higher before. I used crushed cans this time. I will use bricks next time to get the stone higher. 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Oops sorry I should have mentioned that in your other post, I usually check it at 5 or 6 minutes and spin it 90 to 180 degrees? Pizzas look great from the top but a spin and a little lower temp should work great for your party. Good call on a test run!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Fire bricks are the best solution.  It is what they are made for and they are way cheaper than some fancy stone that is ridiculously priced.  I paid $7 for four nice bricks 2 x 4 x 9 and $12 for 8 bricks that are 1 x 4 x 8.  I can do anything with them and they stay pretty stable for long periods.  I did a 12 pizza cook in July in a little more than 2 hours.  I never went over 550 the whole time and my Egg was so clean the next day.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Great looking pie! Haven't tried the Kroger brand, so i can't offer much advice, but it depends on how thick the dough is. I'd try 500-550.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    For a test run that looks pretty good!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio