Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need soy ginger sauce for Mad Max's Crab Cakes

Options
Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to do Mad Max’s Crab Cakes tonight. Thought a nice Asian soy ginger sauce would work well. Any good recipes for a sauce like that, or any other good sauces you might suggest.
Thanks
Wino

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wino,
    That does sound purty good. I am far from a sauce expert, but I do a lot of playing around. Just thinkin out loud, but would probably start by caramelizing some finely chopped onion with the ginger, then deglazing with sherry. Cook that down and add some chicken broth, some sugar or honey, then soy sauce (or even oyster sauce) until you get the salt level you want, some fresh ground pepper, then a squirt of Sriracha chilie sauce and reduce until it is a good consistency. You could also thicken with corn starch/water.[p]My favorite sauce on the cakes is a base of dijon mustard/horsradish mayo/olive oil...squirt of vinegar, dash of lime juice dash of Tsunami. But your ginger idea really sounds good.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Mornin' Wino,
    I couldn't find a recipe for either the crab cakes or the ginger sauce in the archives.
    If you come up with a link please post it.
    Thanks,
    bruce[p]

• Wino
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Ok now you have me thinking. Found a good one online, but thinking of modifying it with your caramelizing of the onions. You named two of my favorite things Dijon mustard and horseradish. Will have to have two sauces now.
    Speaking of mustard. Went to the opening of a new gourmet pizza palace here in Atlanta called Pie Bar. Very hip trendy place. Thin crust out of a brick oven. Second best pizza I have had next to the ones I do on the egg. Anyway they did pastrami with provolone and a Dijon mustard sauce (instead of the normal tomato). Wow, I have something new to shoot for. When I prefect that pizza I will post the results.
    Thanks Chis for grinding out those great rubs and dispensing of your worldly advice. Congrats on NJ last weekend.
    Wino

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Wino,[p]Here's what I use as a dipping sauce for fish kabobs or grilled shrimp. I'll have to try it with Max's crabcakes.[p]I seldom measure and write down a recipe, just go by taste, so hang in with me.[p]First, add some soy and white wine or rice wine vinegar to a bowl, about a 75/25 mix. Then add white sugar (in this sauce using white sugar keeps the flavor a little lighter) a few teaspoons at a time, dissolving the sugar and tasting the results. When you get the balance of acid vs. sweet that you want you are good to go to the next step (BTW, I never use measurements when I make this because vinegars vary in their acidity and flavor. Trust your taste buds and you will come out right every time).[p]Using a large hole grater, grate fresh ginger that you have peeled. Use a piece at least the size of a golf ball. Chop off and discard the fibers when they hinder grating. Peel, smash and fine chop one clove of garlic. Fine slice across its length one serrano chili, seeds and all. Rough chop a small handful of fresh mint. Add these 4 ingredients to the liquid. [p]Finally, add some (say, one tablespoon per 1 - 2 cups of sauce) of Thai fish sauce (a critical ingredient, even though it smells awful) and the same amount of olive oil to the sauce, whisk and refrigerate to allow the flavors to mingle.[p]Once you achieve the sweet/sour balance you want in step one, you can do anything with the rest of the ingredience - - like omit the garlic if you don't care for it, or add more, which is what I do.[p]Ummm. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.[p]Apologies for my lack of measurements to the REAL cooks on this forum :-)[p]BTW, what wine will you serve with this course????[p]Good luck. I've made Max's crabcakes and they are outstanding. You can't go wrong![p]DD

• Wino
    Options
    DobieDad,
    Thanks. That is basically the recipe I found on the internet. It did not call for the fish sauce but I have some in the fringe and am going to play around with it. I am the same way about fooling around and not measuring.
    As far as wine it will be a German Riesling slightly on the sweet side, but not sticky sweet. It will cut through the acid and vinegar in the sauce, but complement the sweet taste of crab. This is going to be the main course. Nothing like 1 lb of crab for two!
    Will post results later.
    Wino

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    badbruce,
    you can find the crab cake recipe at www.dizzypigbbq.com in the recipes section. .. hth