Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thermometer

What do you guys recommend for a good therm. Not an instant read. I am leaning toward a maverick but don't know which model is best?
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
·

Comments

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited November 2012

If you're talking about a therm to monitor your meat and pit temp:
    I have the old Maverick ET-73,  going strong after 9 years and still using original probes.  Will buy the Maverick ET-732 if it ever dies.

Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • I love my Maverick ET-732. I did a lot of research prior to my purchase and this was the clear winner.
    ·
  • I love my Maverick ET-732. I did a lot of research prior to my purchase and this was the clear winner.
    +1, it is the clear choice for something under $50 with wireless, alarms and pit+food probes. The probes seem to have some issues, but Maverick is great to replace under warranty. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • +1 on the Maverick.  It's also great to be able to monitor your cook remotely.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,575
    Definitely go with the ET-732 if you get a maverick.  The 73 is fine, but the probes have a much lower temp rating and it is too easy to fry them if you are absent minded like me.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 260
    +1 on the Mav 732.  Works like a charm.  I also have a single probe reader, but don't use it very often.
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    +1 on the Maverick 732. It's the best bang for the buck. I picked up one a couple months back and it's changed the way I cook.  
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    They cost about twice as much and don't have the remote feature, but if you want a more "commercial" duty alarm thermometer, consider Thermoworks TW8060.

It uses K-style thermocouples rather than thermistors, which are relatively fragile.  Ask Cen-Tex about how many Maverick probes broke on him.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html

·
  • J_Que said:
    +1 on the Maverick 732. It's the best bang for the buck. I picked up one a couple months back and it's changed the way I cook.  
    Ditto on the 732...!

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • It's too bad Thermoworks did not make a wireless remote like the Maverick, or maybe we need Maverick to make a unit with a touch more quality. I would gladly pay twice the price if it worked reliably and for more than a few months. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    Thank you guys for the feed back. I am trying to give the old lady a couple of hints for my birthday coming up.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·