Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cluck and Squeal Leg Quarters

Was a bit bummed when I heard that Marc Cardinali wasn't going to make it down for the Plano Eggfest. For those that don't know him, he's the guy responsible for Cluck and Squeal Rubs. I was fortunate to be able to cook next to him last year at the fest and he's a heck of a guy. So these ones are for him.

One of Mrs. G's best friends has been in town this week for work. Mrs. G mentioned that she might come by one night for dinner and to hang out after work. I was planning on doing a spatchcock chicken, but when I got to the store, they didn't have any whole chickens! I was a bit surprised by this, but rolled along with it and picked up some quarters instead.

Got home and trimmed off some of the excess fat, applied some Cluck and Squeal and threw them in the fridge to air dry for a few hours.

By 5:30 we still hadn't heard a word from her friend. I figured we weren't going to hear from her and that she wasn't coming over, so I got the Egg going and stabilized at 400F using my BGE Grate Extender (I'm gonna be so happy when we upgrade to an AR). Tossed in some Jack Daniels wood chips for smoke and the chicken went on around 6

Of course, you know how this is gonna go...about the time I'm ready to pull off the chicken, her friend calls and Mrs. G has to leave to go pick her up from her hotel.

Chicken got wrapped in some foil and stuck in the oven while I waited on them. In the meantime, I prepped some asparagus to grill when they got home and whipped up some of The Pioneer Woman's Fettuccini Alfredo. If you haven't tried this, its super easy and pretty darn tasty. I've never made an alfredo sauce and was worried I might screw it up, but this was so easy even I couldn't manage that. Unfortunately, by that time it was already 7:30 and I was hungry, so no pics of plated pics this time.

The Cluck and Squeal was really good, as always. Seems like lately it has fallen out of rotation here (as well as at my house). Doesn't get mentioned as often as it used to. I'm moving it forward on my spice rack after last night. I forgot how good it can be.

Oh yeah...got one extra left over for lunch. Pretty excited about that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man those look good!  I love quarters.  Have you ever tried "The Chicken" recipe?  It is a darn good recipe.  Adding the pan full of veggies under the chicken really works wonders, and it is a great way to get a whole mean in the egg at one time.  

Any recommendations on where to buy Cluck and Squeal?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I've seen that recipe, but never tried it. Guess I need to.

Kinda hard to get ahold of the stuff since its from a Canadian company. If you contact hornhonk, he can set you up with some.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Real nice Jason. Have you thought of adding a little cherry chips for the extra color?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I almost did. It was a toss up between cherry, apple or JD. Since the JD was new and I haven't used it in years, it won the coin toss.

Rowlett, Texas

• Looks great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks tasty! I really like Cluck and Squeal, its my goto rub for spatchcock.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK.