Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

Options
What do you guys recommend for a good therm. Not an instant read. I am leaning toward a maverick but don't know which model is best?
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012
    Options

If you're talking about a therm to monitor your meat and pit temp:
    I have the old Maverick ET-73,  going strong after 9 years and still using original probes.  Will buy the Maverick ET-732 if it ever dies.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• diverstephen
    Options
    I love my Maverick ET-732. I did a lot of research prior to my purchase and this was the clear winner.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I love my Maverick ET-732. I did a lot of research prior to my purchase and this was the clear winner.
    +1, it is the clear choice for something under $50 with wireless, alarms and pit+food probes. The probes seem to have some issues, but Maverick is great to replace under warranty. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    +1 on the Maverick.  It's also great to be able to monitor your cook remotely.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Definitely go with the ET-732 if you get a maverick.  The 73 is fine, but the probes have a much lower temp rating and it is too easy to fry them if you are absent minded like me.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    +1 on the Mav 732.  Works like a charm.  I also have a single probe reader, but don't use it very often.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    +1 on the Maverick 732. It's the best bang for the buck. I picked up one a couple months back and it's changed the way I cook.  
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They cost about twice as much and don't have the remote feature, but if you want a more "commercial" duty alarm thermometer, consider Thermoworks TW8060.

It uses K-style thermocouples rather than thermistors, which are relatively fragile.  Ask Cen-Tex about how many Maverick probes broke on him.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/TW8060.html
    J_Que said:
    +1 on the Maverick 732. It's the best bang for the buck. I picked up one a couple months back and it's changed the way I cook.  
    Ditto on the 732...!

Opelika, Alabama
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    It's too bad Thermoworks did not make a wireless remote like the Maverick, or maybe we need Maverick to make a unit with a touch more quality. I would gladly pay twice the price if it worked reliably and for more than a few months. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Thank you guys for the feed back. I am trying to give the old lady a couple of hints for my birthday coming up.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE