Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Another Spatchcock Chicken

Just a simple weeknight dinner. Spatchcock chicken dusted with a chicken mix by Myron Mixon cookbook. Its got a little bit of everything. Pulled the skin back from the breast in order to season the naked breast since I dont normally eat chicken skin. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Put on the top rung of the A/R at 400 degrees direct with some Jack Daniels smoking chips. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App Cooked 1 hour and the breast was 159 and thigh was 190 so I pulled it and took it inside to let it rest for a few minutes. The jack chips were a wonderful addition. I will never mess with a beer in the rear again as this is just as good and not near as messy. Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
NW Iowa
·

Comments

• Looks great - how was the Mixon rub?

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
    ·
  • Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 1,575
    edited November 2012
    @Dave Thanks, It's great, 2/3 cup chili powder, 1/2 cup white sugar, 4TBSP Kosher Salt, 4TBSP Onion Powder, 4 TBSP Garlic Powder and 1TSP Cayenne Pepper.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,364
    Look's good. Welcome aboard.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • Looks tasty. What's the white powder around the raw chicken? Corn starch for crisp?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 1,575
    edited November 2012
    @RAC Thanks @JC ThanksYes it is cornstarch, didn't have time to leave it uncovered so I tried cornstarch. It worked pretty well.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    The skin looks good.  I've been meaning to try the cornstarch myself.  Next time . . . 
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • @newegg13 thanks, it was good, crispy but not crunchy
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • @newegg13 thanks, it was good, crispy but not crunchy
    That's the best way, IMHO - great cook thanks for sharing!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • @skiddymarker - thanks it's the way to go.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803

@Bisket_Fanatic - glad you found your way over here. You are going to find it is much busier than the other forum.

I was going to do a very similar cook to yours last night, but the store was out of whole chickens, so I went with quarters. 400 Direct, raised with Dack Janiels wood chips, just used a different rub than you. Good minds think alike. Your bird looks like it came out perfectly. Nicely done.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • @Griffin - thanks decided to sign up since the other was closing. I always keep a couple of fryers in the freezer. Not good when the store runs out of chickens. Just started using those JD chips and really like them.
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803
    I haven't used those chips in years. Saw them somewhere and was shocked at how much they wanted, the next day saw them somewhere else for $2 a bag...SOLD!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • I wont pay $5 a bag either.
    NW Iowa
    ·