Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Faux Cochon De Lait

My wife picked up a couple of pork butts last week and we decided to do "anything but" pulled pork.  Don't get me wrong, we love pulled pork but make it all the time.  So I cut the butts into two boneless shoulder roasts, 3+ lbs of cubed meat maybe for chile verde, and pieces for curing/smoking my own tasso.

Here is what I made with the first roast.  It isn't authentic cochon de lait by any means but it is excellent.  The roast is tender, spicy, and juicy and that creamy sauce is amazing in texture and flavor. 

Seasoned the tied roast heavily with a Cajun rub.

Put my Dutch oven (#12 Lodge) in my wife's Egg (mine was busy smoking the tasso) over direct heat at 375-400f and seared it on all sides.

Then I added 5 cups of milk and cream, 4 cloves garlic, bay leave, and thyme.

Dropped the Egg temp to 300f, got the milk to simmer, covered it and let it cook for about 2 1/2 hours, flipping every 30 minutes.

Took the roast out and kept warm.  Simmered the sauce down about 20 minutes and then strained it.  I shredded the meat and ladled some of the sauce over it.

Man, this was some good stuff.  The leftovers were great on on an open faced sandwich.  I'm just sad it's all gone! 
·

Comments

• Scott805Scott805 Posts: 172
    Man, that looks awesome.  Was it five cups of milk and five cups of cream.  This one is bookmarked!  Great Job!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct - Finally have a decent table!

Dallas, TX

·
  • This is why I hang out on THIS forum.  Bravo, mon amie ! =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Looks really good !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,812
    Looks great!  Nibbled till it's gone.

·
  • This is why I hang out on THIS forum.  Bravo, mon amie ! =D>
    dito
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,558
    That looks awesome!! Love the pictures! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • No, just 5 cups of a mix.  I went with 3 milk, 2 cream.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,124
    That looks incredible!  So good even ayayron likes it! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Looks amazing!
    ·
  • there we go. Thanks so much for being interesting and creative. Awesome.  

·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Looks outstanding!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Nothing like pulled pork with "class", excellent presentation - must try something like this as we have settled into the predictable, still good, but predictable standard smoked butt for PP. 
    Thanks for sharing.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,621
    This cochon looks good!

Bravo, chef!   I echo VI, this is what makes this forum what it is - recipes and cooks like this. 

Oh, that and the ongoing banter that quickly deteriorates into a downward spiral of nonsensical but hysterical jibberish. 
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
  • Beauty!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

·
  • I echo VI, this is what makes this forum what it is - recipes and cooks like this. 
    Looks great and that sauce looks better, bookmarked
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Amazing cook. Bookmarked as well.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 467
    Wow, you are my idol, awesome recipe that I have to try
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,275
    Looks delicious.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 184
    Boom goes the dynamite! 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,812
    recipe like this is timeless. 

·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,261
    I saw the link to this thread in another thread. I am trying it right now with a whole 4lb bone in butt. Will it really cook that fast in the DO?  Do I need to get it up to 195 or so?  Thanks.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,083
    It will cook faster. The recipe is spot on. Serve some red vinegar wine slaw with it or both on hoagies. It's awesome. Let us know.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    It smells amazing.  Its been on for an hour and a half.  Can't wait.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
    Well, I screwed it up.  the pork is gonna be fine but I guess it's too hot because the sauce was boiling when I checked it last, scorched the heck out of it.   I think my dome thermometer is about 100 degrees off.  I'll let it rest and eat it without the sauce I guess, bummer.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 234
    edited December 2013
    After getting my egg and visiting this forum, I decided to follow the suggestions of calibrating my dome thermometer.  40° off was a lot for me...100° is really off.
    Google your altitude on what temperature water boils at your altitude...
    screw that...you're in Tennessee. Make it read 210° and you'll be close enough.

If you're going to smoke cheese, rely on another type of thermometer. My dome thermometer reads 70° when cold. 

I'm getting my A-Maze-N Smoker in soon for cold smoking and will use a digital thermometer to make sure my temps are in range.

OKC area  XL - Medium
    ·
    I calibrated it once since I've had it but it's been a while. I usually use my maverick probe but I just didn't get it out this time.  Oh well.  I will give the cochon de lait another go while I'm off next week. It looks too good not to.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,083
    T...just add more milk to thin it down. I've cooked it down to a thick cheese like spread before.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·