Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip question...trim fat cap?

SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
I am trying my first tri-tip using the Eggs by the Bay recipe.  The tri-tips I got had a really big fat cap on them.  I trimmed off much of the fat.  I'm actually asking the question a little late...cuz it's done...but just curious as to how people do it.  Do you leave the fat cap on?  There was so much it seems like it would have melted and removed all the rub.  Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I never do much trimming on my tri tips. The fat usually renders off during searing.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I usually have pretty well trimmed tri tip, but when I get a fatty one I trim the fat off.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    + 1 on trimming it
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Thanks guys!  I did trim it, and it turned out great.  I guess you could say I compromised and sorta kinda trimmed it.  My knife skills aren't great, so I left what I would call a "reasonable" layer of fat.  I don't know if this is normal, but this sucker had fat that was well over an inch in some places.  I think I trimmed about $10 worth of fat off! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    That much fat is not normal, mine are usually pretty lean, but yesterday I had a fatty one. Out of the bag of 8 tri tips it was the only one I trimmed.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    +1, I always trim it. Looks like a steak when I put it on.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    BYS1981 said:

That much fat is not normal, mine are usually pretty lean, but yesterday I had a fatty one. Out of the bag of 8 tri tips it was the only one I trimmed.

The tri tips I get from Costco resemble a sirloin steak. Just marbling and ready to grill out of the package.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    As stated above the Costco ones come pretrimmed. There is a farmers market up here in Cumming though that sells tri tips with a huge fat cap like you mentioned. I have heard of cooking tri tips slow and have wanted to get one with a fat cap on to try the slow cook.
  • I trim surface fat.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SmokeyPitt
    Lit said:
    As stated above the Costco ones come pretrimmed. There is a farmers market up here in Cumming though that sells tri tips with a huge fat cap like you mentioned. I have heard of cooking tri tips slow and have wanted to get one with a fat cap on to try the slow cook.
    I got the tri at "The Butchers Market" here in Woodstock.  It is a butcher/sandwich shop/BBQ joint.  Basically they have a big offset smoker out front and they sell cooked Q by the lb and I think they have lunch specials.  I'm pretty sure they do the tri tip slow n low with the fat cap up.  I might go for lunch one day just to try the tri slow and low.