Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig

Walked into my local dealer this afternoon to get my cracked plate setter replaced. And there was a whole selection of DP rubs with a 35% off sign on them. Got all excited only to look at them and find they were all way past their sell by dates! Very disappointing.
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    I haven't ever had dizzy pig but other than clumping up and losing potency how bad can they go? Curious to see the responses on here
  • Hmm, I have seven bottles and have never seen a sell by/exp. date
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I went into Ken-Ray Pool and Spa in Morganton, N.C. they also had some DP out of date, they gave me all they had said she could not sell because of date. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • I've been disappointed in my DP rubs so far and I was really excited about getting them too. Not giving up yet but aren't doing it for me so far.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    double said:
    Walked into my local dealer this afternoon to get my cracked plate setter replaced. And there was a whole selection of DP rubs with a 35% off sign on them. Got all excited only to look at them and find they were all way past their sell by dates! Very disappointing.
    Hi Double.  If unopened, and in a cool place, the rubs can still be fresh tasting well after the "best if used by date". But still, this bothers me.

The dealer has over a year and a half to get the stuff into your hands before that date comes up. Guessing they ordered too much, or have just been slow like a lot of retail stores. We are putting out fresh stuff every day so don't give up!

Thanks for the heads up. If you get a chance, please email me the dealer name.
    Happy cookin
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • friscoag said:
    I've been disappointed in my DP rubs so far and I was really excited about getting them too. Not giving up yet but aren't doing it for me so far.
    have you tired "shaking the tree" on Chicken? that's my fav and taste awesome!
    Brandon, MS
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    piney said:
    I went into Ken-Ray Pool and Spa in Morganton, N.C. they also had some DP out of date, they gave me all they had said she could not sell because of date. 

Hi Piney. Free is always good. And he still sold all the ones that didn't happen to have dates on them ;)
    Thanks
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    edited November 2012
    friscoag said:
    I've been disappointed in my DP rubs so far and I was really excited about getting them too. Not giving up yet but aren't doing it for me so far.
    DP ... I put that Shiz on everything! Try the swamp venom on some wings and you will want to eat your nubs off!
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • @J_Que - This is just a tip:  When you want to reply to something someone said, hit the "Quote" under their post and it will appear shaded in your comment box.  I comment under the shaded area so it makes it easier to see who said what.
    Flint, Michigan
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214

@J_Que - This is just a tip:  When you want to reply to something someone said, hit the "Quote" under their post and it will appear shaded in your comment box.  I comment under the shaded area so it makes it easier to see who said what.

Lol wondered how you did that...
    Lynnwood WA
  • friscoag said:
    Me too.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Chris, they told me that the rep no longer carried this line. Send someone by these are wonderful people to deal with. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Isn't it more economical to make your own rub?  
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Stargaze said:
    Isn't it more economical to make your own rub?  

Yes, but DP has put years and $$$ into developing good products. Not to mention he can get his hands on some quality, fresh ingredients that you won't find in your local grocery store. Some people like the convenience/don't have the time/inclination to make their own, so its nice that there are quality products out there they can use. I've been using some of their stuff for years,l but I'd like to start making my own again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I gotcha.  I'll have to try it sometime, I noticed that the 32oz shaker is a $1 per ounce.  I can make a lot of my own rub with 32 bucks.  I'll get the smaller bottle and see what the commotion is about.
  • I'm all for ideas and I want to like DP.  I have Tsunami, Swamp Venom, DD, and Red Eye...I've done ribs with all 4, and pork butt with a mix of prolly 70% DD and 30% SV...My other combos of rubs have done better.

With the 4 that I have what do you guys suggest me try next?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    friscoag said:

With the 4 that I have what do you guys suggest me try next?

Get Raging River. It's wonderful on ribs, chicken and fish. I also like cow lick and shaking the tree.

I love red eye on beef...it's usually what I use on tri tip. I would suggest picking up some pork tenderloins and wings. They're cheap and you can try each rub on different types of meat.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

I have been using "Raising the Steaks" on Tri Tip and it is outstanding.