Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fat Side up vs. Fat Side Down

Hey Everyone, as I read through the discussions I noticed some folks tend to do their brisket or pork butt, fat side down, while others tend to do them fat side up. I've been doing them fat side up because I want the fat (i.e. flavor) to go down into the meat. Does this really happen though? I would assume this debate would be important if were weren't using an egg since the egg is a very efficient cooker.  However, I am no expert and I'm still learning the art bbq and I am curious what other people had to say about this. 
·

Comments

• __________________________________________

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • It makes almost no difference. The only difference it makes for me is the fat down can help protect from direct heat.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Doesn't really matter. That fat doesn't really go 'down into the meat'. It drips down over the sides and ends up in your drip pan.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,624
    when the fat melts it washes off your rub, some cut all the fat off a butt so that doesnt happen and the bark forms heavier
    ·
  • Fat down for me.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • I turn them sideways.  Fat on the side.  Because I can't make up my mind.
    Yea, but then only one side gets the fat! Lol, I say it is irrelevant other than washing the rub away. Trim as much of it off as you can and that's it.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    It doesn't matter as long as there's fat on it. Most stores I shop at cut it off and call it "lean" or "family friendly". If I want the fatty bb I have to call my butcher.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • I am waiting for the right hand vs left hand fat, up vs fat down brisket discussion before I chime in. :D
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,755
    I used to go fat side up pre-egg days, but now with the egg I go fat side down just as an extra barrier from the heat.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Although I really don't think it matters, by the time I rub it down, I can't tell which side has more fat, so it is whichever way it hits the grid. Maybe that's why the bark is different from one time to the next. Bottom line is it is all good. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I like mine trimmed now, there's enough fat in marbling.
    ·
  • Fat side down here.  Preserving the bark is important for me, bark cannot form on fat.  You can loose the bark on the cooking grid if it sticks.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·