Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on first time baby back ribs?

Options
Newbie here and need some advice. I have done some great meals since getting the egg a few weeks ago. I did my first baby back rib meal today and it did not turn out as well as I had wanted it to.It was ok, not terrible. We really like our ribs to fall off the bone or pretty close. I cooked inderect with plate setter at 250. I used a drip pan with some water in it under the grill. I put the ribs in a rib rack and cooked for 2.5 hours then I tented with foil for an hour and then 30 minutes with sauce and no foil to finish off. 4hrs total. I may have been running low on lump bc at times it was hard to maintain the 250. Any advice how to get them less tuff? Flavor was great ,texture not as much.

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Options

You just needed to leave them on longer.     I pull mine off when they pass the bend test.     I pick them up with my tongs and when they bend over almost double I know they are done.

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • doncarl
    Options

Mine take almost 6 hours, with no tenting.  Put the sauce on in the last 20 minutes.  Bend test is the best method for knowing when they are done.  I use a drip pan with almost a quart of apple juice.

• travisstrick
    Options
    Ribs are done when they are done but at 250 I wouldn't think of taking them off until 5 hrs min.

I bet your were undercooked.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    This is how I do mine.  Only 2 hours cooking.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144307/my-turbo-ribs-tonight#latest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    +1 on not enough time.  I have used the formula:

275 dome
    3 hours on the smoker
    90 minutes in foil
    back on until "finished". 

I've had good results with this formula.  For some, this might be a little too "soft" but you can play with the timing.  I think I might try dialing back the foil stage to get a little  more chew on the exterior.  I don't think you have to use foil to get a fall off bone rib, it just speeds things up.  

Here is a pic of the "bend test" described earlier.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited November 2012
    Options

This is the procedure I use:

http://firecooker.com/recipes/entry/94/

I use a different rub and sauce but I use the same cooking procedure as the video. They are falling apart when I take them out of the foil. My family (Cajuns and Italians) are my biggest critics and they said they are the best ribs they have had. Took me probably 4 tries to get them right. Good luck!

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Lots of discussion on this and other forums about the foiling.  I don't foil, but I do spray with apple juices every hour after the first two hours on the smoker.

When you foil ribs you are steaming them and while it makes them tender, it also changes the texture of the bark.

Like all Q there is no right or wrong.