Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stock tomorrow

Could not pass these up.  Roasted on the small headed for the stock pot tomorrow.
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    What are they?  What kind of soup are you going to make?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Beef shanks for beef stock.  That will make some great stock.  I usually buy beef knuckles from the meat market because they are the cheapest.   I'd be eyeing what you have for some osso bucco.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bet there was not a dog in 5 miles without its head in the air looking for your house.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @cazzy VI is correct those are beef shanks.  #1 son loves to make sauces, so there will plenty on hand for him during the Thanksgiving holiday. I can tolerate canned chicken stock, but I absolutely hate canned beef stock.  We did reserve one for spreading the marrow on crusty french bread....cooks treat..yum.

@VI didn't think about osso bucco.  Thanks for the idea.  This was one package of shanks priced $2 at CM, could not pass that up.

@Mickey Well, that explains why the coyotes were at the fence line last night.  Sometimes, I be dense.:-)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012
     I can tolerate canned chicken stock, but I absolutely hate canned beef stock.  

I can't tolerate either one.  All it takes is to put a homemade stock in a bowl and watch it jiggle like jello (at room temperature), then compare that to the "water" from canned stock.  I will never make French Onion Soup from store bought beef stock again.

EDIT: Well, I can tolerate them if they are just a minor ingredient in a recipe, but not if they are the major ingredient, like in onion soup or won ton soup.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited November 2012
    VI,  if I need the chicken stock as the major ingredient, say making Caldo Tlalpeno, or anything that requires more than a cup of stock, then it is the real thing. If the canned stuff is being diluted with other liquids then I will reach for the can.
    ...And for some strange reason the canned chicken stock makes the best Mexican rice...go figure.