Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

First pizza on the egg - pizza stone shattered

Did my first pizza today. It was about ready to come off and the stone shattered. It is in four pieces now. Guess I need to get a better quality stone. Good news is that the pizza survived and was delicious. Funny news is that my wife was walking by the egg when it popped. She jumped about a foot high and almost fell in the pool.

Any recommendations on a replacement?

·

Comments

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 802
    I have had the Green Egg brand for over a year without problems.  One thing with any stone you don't want to put a cold stone into a 600º Egg.

Gerhard
    ·
  • I have the XL size BGE stone and it is excellent.
    ·
  • SigPSigP Posts: 25
    I put it in as soon as I got the fire started. I've used that stone many times, but in the oven at max temperature of about 550. Had the egg up to about 650. I guess it was just too much for it. Oh, well...

·
  • GLWGLW Posts: 178
    Was it a pampered chef stone by any chance? Had my pampered stone for over ten years. First pizza in the egg fixed that.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
    ·
  • SigPSigP Posts: 25
    It was pampered in the sense that it had never been heated as much as a pizza stone should be. I guess I'll go find a tough one.

·
  • I am now using fire brick in place of a stone.  I have several different thicknesses.  These bricks are rated at continuous 3000 degrees.  No breakage in that range. I have eight 1" x 4" x 8" and four 2" x 4" x 9" bricks.  I paid $19 for all of them at a local brick yard.  They have many uses and configurations in my Egg.  I am making my own spider out of 3/8" 306 stainless.  My brother happened to have 12 feet of it and out of the blue he gave it to me. 

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,357
    GLW said:
    Was it a pampered chef stone by any chance? Had my pampered stone for over ten years. First pizza in the egg fixed that.
    After last nights pizza cook, my Pampered Chef pizza stone and stoneware deep dish pan had a lot of burned on sauce.  Did a clean burn this afternoon that got away from me a bit and got up to about 900 degrees for about 45 minutes before I caught it. Both stone and pan survived and look new.  Just need to season them before the next cook.
  • Replacement stone? Or wife? I'm just askin'......
    LBGE
    ·
  • BGE stone is nice and thick/sturdy.  I cleaned mine in a burn out last night at quite a bit over 1,000.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • My first pizza stone was from Costco or Sam's Club and it did not last long before breaking. I then purchased the Ceramic Chef stone from Crate and Barrel and it is still going strong after several years and pizzas.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, StokerConsole
    ·
  • my stone broke also.  i believe it was because i did a pizza without my platesetter. 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,968
    How thick was your stone? When I was researching, I noticed a lot of reviews stating that having a stone at least 1/2" thick can prevent this. This was the reason I went with the BGE stone.
    ·
  • My wife just order this one for me.  It should arrive today.  Tell me more about the stone.  Diameter/thickness, etc.  (I was looking at the BGE stone, but am thankful for the gift.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
    ·