Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork shoulder - 17 hours in, help please!

Options
I bought a 15.5 lb shoulder at Costco.  It was two separate pieces.  I got my dome to 230 and after 10 hours (at 2am) the internal temp of the pork was 170.  I was getting nervous that it would overcook if I left it on until 7 when I was going to wake up, so I closed the vent a bit to try and get it to hold at 200.  When I checked it at 6 am the dome was at 120 and the internal temp of the pork was also down to 120.  Am I screwed?  Can I pop it in a 200 oven for the morning and have it safe to eat this afternoon?  This has never happened in my 2 years of BGE ownership and I'm at a complete loss!  TIA

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    Sounds normal. You are cooking at a very low temp and if expect it to take a long time. If you are doing pulled pork you want it to be at least 195 internal. 210 would be just fine. You are a few hours away from being over cooked.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I always play it safe with cooks.  If you think you're screwed, better off tossing it.  Better just being pissed for a short period than sick for a long period.   If you go forward with the cook, you'll spend the next 48 hours on edge wondering if everyone is OK.

You still have time to do couple new butts with the hot and fast method and make a late afternoon dinner.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd foil it and crank the egg up to 325. Pull at 195-205 when done (tender). The inside of the egg is pretty sterile.  You should be fine.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Butt was within the time and temperature limits 4 hours under 140. Should be okay because the internal was up to 170.
    Nolaegghead's idea of foiling and cranking the temp up should work. Just will not have a "Bark".

REMEMBER  tough and "dry" pulled pork is usually under cooked, I take it off at 200 and wrap it and put in a warmed cooler to let the juices redistribute for an hour at least.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, I suggested foiling just to get the heat up fast - it's been on the grill for a long time.  Normally I'd never foil pork shoulder.
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.  I made a decision about 10 minutes after my post to pull it from the egg and put it in a 250 degree oven for 3 1/2 hours.  I did not foil it and it ended up turning out just fine with a great bark.  It was a huge hit.