Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DP Red Eye Lamb Loin Chops on the Mini

Options
I bought some lamb loin chops the other day but forgot to pick up some fresh herbs for a marinade. I searched for alternatives and found Egret's marinade recipe here (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/624326/loin-lamb-chops-advice) which uses dried herbs which I had in stock plus a little dried thyme. I also remembered that Smitty at Eggs By The Bay gave me a sample of DP's Red Eye Express that I'd been meaning to try so after about 10 hrs of marinade, I removed the chops and rubbed them with the DP rub.
Got the Mini fired up to about 325 and put the chops on indirect (just a little drip pan): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
They got up to temp quicker than I'd expected so I took out the Woo & pan and did a quick reverse sear: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Pulled them in the low 130s & let them rest a bit: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Then sliced (lost a little pink in the pic): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Tender, juicy, and an incredible flavor! Best lamb loin chops I've ever had. Definitely getting some more rub and repeating this again.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Awesome!  Just love chops.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Funny, my wife just walked out the door headed for Costco to pick up some chops like these for dinner tonight. I was planing to do with Red Eye also. My go to for lamb is EVOO, fresh rosemary, garlic, oregano, lemon, salt and pepper. I decided to try some with Red Eye a while back and really liked the flavor with the lamb. I also found that a great way to roast these is direct with the chop standing with the bone down. They roast really evenly. You can sear at the end if needed.
    George
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Just another great looking cook!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Awesome!  Those look incredibe!  I'm gonna hafta locate me some good lamb now.  :)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thx Scott805 and Dyal_SC!
    Thx again for the rub samples Smitty!
    @gte1 - I'm sure you'll enjoy your lamb tonight. Funny thing is my wife came home tonight with 2 more packages of lamb loin chops! I guess she was serious when she said she really liked them. :) Looks like my repeat cook is coming up sooner than later.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Nice work! You can hot tub lamb chops too. I sorta like them Hannibal Lechter style

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    Options
    Yum! That is dinner tomorrow. Was trying to figure out a p LAN and now I have it. Thanks for sharing.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Great cook and pics.  It's making me hungry again.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL