Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chipotle season-

Options
Anyone else doing the low&slow for chipotles this time of year...loaded up the LBGE (indirect) with jalapenos and am now 8 hours into the 180-200*F (calibrated dome) cook.  Talk about not worrying about the time and flavor of the outcome-BTW-the practice of lighting at bottom center (one spot) does enable pretty stable temps in the above range. Figure around 12-14 hours total smoke/cook time. All good once finished.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Been a huge chipotle fan since 1987, but have never tried making them myself.  Do you can them, freeze them, or...?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

@ Botch-I found a recipe sorta like described above for the cook times (use pecan for the smoke wood) and then once I get them dried I finely chop them up and use as seasoning.  About two LBGE loads (single layer) will get me thru the year-unless I'm overly hyped for the taste. 

I'm in the land of Kentucky Jelly (KY if you missed that go round) and usually plant two to three jala plants / year-the yield is usually enough but I will supplement with those from the local market.  It's the only "cradle to grave" project I do but worth it.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.