Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wings and Cornstarch

XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 562

after reading some threads  it seems constarch is a popular option to use right before you throw them on the egg.  I did this the last time i did wings which was also my first time making them on the egg.  obviously cornstarch isnt easy to apply by hand- at least for me:)

so i got to thinking tonight as i was preparing some legs for tomorrow- why not use cheesecloth?  i dont have a sifter so i cut some cheesecloth and put some cornstarch in there and made it a ball..  as i tap it, just the right amount comes out to where it would coat the legs evenly and no clumps, etc.

anyone else have any tricks on how they apply it?  i saw one that puts them in a bag and shakes them up..

·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,418
    You can use a flour sifter.  They also make corn-starch shakers - they look like salt shakers but the have a very fine screen on the top. Idea is you can sprinkle right into your sauce without mixing in cold water first.  Anyway, end result is a very fine dusting.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,418
    That ball/cheesecloth idea does sound clever.

·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 562
    next time i think about it when i am at the store i will pick one up- i was thinking about it tonight and didnt want to make a special trip out for one
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,543
    edited November 2012
    Another option is a very fine sieve. Dump the starch in and tap the side. Also works for flour. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • +1 on the flower sifter idea, that's how I do it.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • I use a sifter and a sieve. For wings I do the shake n bake style. Wings are more forgiving than the other parts. If you have any white clumps showing after the wings start to brown just spray with olive oil or pam on those spots.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,271
    edited November 2012

·