Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Cornbread help please?

Cornbread is not very widely done in the GWN. Batter is made just need an idea on temp. I am thinking on the platesetter spacers and CI pan?

Thanks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Comments

• 415 raised direct or indirect in a CI pan round about 45 min
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Tks Man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Definitely use setup you're thinking on....temp is good anywhere from 350-425...I prefer right around 375.
    ·
  • Thanks Quinn.  I forgot to ask about greasing the pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Heavy grease in pan.
    ·
  • Just realized I used the last of the bacon in the chili. Lard?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I like butter.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,373
    I'll be honest my Canadian friend...I have not made this before on the egg.  However, since I am from GA I think I am genetically predisposed with the knowledge of how to make cornbread.  I think this recipe sounds about right:

425, preheat skillet, spacers or maybe setter legs up with grid and just put skillet on the grid...sounds 'bout right to me!  Hopefully some of my southern brethren can confirm!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • I use crisco lard if I don't have bacon grease.
    ·
  • Cornbread is not very widely done in the GWN. Batter is made just need an idea on temp. I am thinking on the platesetter spacers and CI pan?

Thanks

seriously, Mr. I can zip all 5 mother sauces off my head doesn't know howda make cornbread, like a brain surgeon that doesn't know how to apply a bandaid isn't it?
    ·
  • I don't preheat if I'm doing raised direct. The goal is to have a nice crust on the bottom. Also, I like to add some corn nibblets in with mine.
    ·
  • McNuttly said:

Cornbread is not very widely done in the GWN. Batter is made just need an idea on temp. I am thinking on the platesetter spacers and CI pan?

Thanks

seriously, Mr. I can zip all 5 mother sauces off my head doesn't know howda make cornbread, like a brain surgeon that doesn't know how to apply a bandaid isn't it?
    You just take a step back sir! I have my finger in the dislike button as we speak

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Thanks Travis. This is a recipe the wife found, honey, jalapeno, parmesan and asiago. Been wanting to try the chili covered with cornbread for years. Like the creamed corn in it when I'm in the south.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174

For a nice change try corn pudding.   Muddle up some of the 6 cups of corn and cut down the butter by a few TBS and this recipe comes out great:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Corn-Pudding-5005

Great for breakfast with a bit of maple syrum over it.   

You can also take it savory by adding roasted pepper chunks, onion, bacon etc.  Just search google for Corn Pudding and you'll be set with various recipes.

·
  • Maple syrum? Are you a Canuck? :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·