Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need tips for producing more smoke.

Options
I have had me egg for about a month now.  I am having problems generating smoke during the entire cook when I do pork butts.  I usually get smoke for about two hours.I usually put about 5 to 6 chunks mixed in with the lump.  Any suggestions on what I should do different.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Are you wanting more visual smoke or more smoke flavor...reason I ask is because unless you are cooking for quite an extended period of time your wood load of 5-6 chunks should be fine if all are consumed during the cook.  Sometimes the fire (in its travels around the lump) will not get to all the smoke wood.  Load heavy in the center (vertically as well) and towards the back if not all is going up in smoke.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

+1 -- sometimes you may not see visible smoke - but the smoke flavor is there.   If not enough flavor imparted, keep the chunks near where the fire spots are and put more in.

Cookin in Texas
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I also have had my egg for about a month and have experienced the same thing with not enough smoke. While doing a rib cook, I had 5-6 chunks spread throughout and when I looked the next day, only 2 or 3 of the chunks had been 'smoked'. Having come from a WSM (I know), I'm used to all the wood chunks being burned and got considerably more smoke ring on my ribs. I have now sold my WSM!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Drawing courtesy of Stike

The reason you burned all the wood in your WSM is that fuel consumption of the WSM is a lot greater than the Egg.  For this reason, wood chunk/chip placement is more important in the Egg.  I tend to use a spiral pattern so no matter where the fire is, there are chunks or chip nearby.  I also try to keep chunks in the "column".  I hope this helps. image

Flint, Michigan
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Awesome picture. I will try this next time. Thanks very much.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Simply put, more wood=more smoke. The trick is to ensue it all gets consumed during the cook. The advice given above me is sound.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    is it a visual or a taste problem. for visual add a water pan, steam looks like smoke
    :Dadd more wood, more smoke, spread the wood out in the lump. if its flavor, more wood, add a different wood(i sometimes add a hint of mesquite to the cherry and hickory i put in there) and if your staying near the egg you dont taste it as strong, your sense of smell which effects taste seems to get overpowered, saturated
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • oksmoker
    Options
    Thanks for all the answer's.  I changed up the way I put the chunks in the lump and I got a lot better result.