Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

Options
124»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

VI is a man amongst men...sniff

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Options

More of a Heston fan myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXh1tW16V-8

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Did a 1lb chunk of Halibut in the SV tonight then pan seared to finish.........unreal. literally zero effort and it was so good. I've never had one cooked that well in a restaurant and all TFJ did was throw it in some water and pan sear for 30-45 seconds. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yum.  I saw PolyScience makes a self-sealing tape that you can stick on the bag, and puncture with a Thermapen and it self-seals.  Also works on knife wounds.

I'm going to go ape-sh1t when I get this thing.
    Yum.  I saw PolyScience makes a self-sealing tape that you can stick on the bag, and puncture with a Thermapen and it self-seals.  Also works on knife wounds.

I'm going to go ape-sh1t when I get this thing.
    That is cool but i've found you really don't need it. that's the cool thing about it, you literally cannot overcook something. You would only be checking for under temp. Once it hits temp, it can sit there all day until you are ready for it.I can tell you are going to get nerdy with it. You'll love it.

• Melhill3
    Options
    I too am a fan of doing SV without a $700 tool.  I do 3>5" thick  steak/roast, chicken breasts, boned and stuffed turkeys in my stovetop stockpot with a temp range of 120˚ to 155˚ no problem.  I would love a fancy SV tool for eggs and fish but for the proteins I'm usually cooking I'm fine with a stockpot and a good thermometer (and my foodsaver vacsealer) here's a great video on how to do turkey

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Here is the scrambled eggs recipe I made but I didn't do the caviar

Recipe (adapted from Heston Blumenthal)

Serves 2

6 Large Eggs

25g Whole Milk

20g Heavy Cream

pinch of salt

20g Unsalted butter, melted

20g Brown Butter

1oz Caviar (optional)

Preparation:

Pre-Heat the water-bath to 75c

In a bowl, blend the eggs, milk, cream and salt with a hand blender or a whisk, then stir in the melted butter.

Divide the egg mixture in half and pour into two sous-vide bags. Seal under full pressure. For those that do not have a chamber vacuum (I don’t) you can use your regular food sealer. Pulse it to remove as much air as possible without sucking the liquid into the machine and seal.

Place the bags in the water bath and allow to cook for 15 minutes, massaging the eggs every 3-5 minutes. Mine took about 20 minutes but I think it was due to still having air in the bag. They are done when you can see the eggs starting to slightly come together.

To serve, remove the scrambled eggs from the bags and top with caviar and a drizzle of brown butter. Enjoy the best scrambled eggs you will ever have.

• travisstrick
    Options
    Is a food saver nessassary or could I use a ziplock in the crockpot?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Is a food saver nessassary or could I use a ziplock in the crockpot?

You can do ziplock inthe crock pot
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Cen-Tex, you gave me an idea.  I don't have sous vide but I'm going to hot tub my next halibut.  Halibut dries out very quickly with traditional grilling but with sous vide (hot tub) all I have to do is sear. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex, you gave me an idea.  I don't have sous vide but I'm going to hot tub my next halibut.  Halibut dries out very quickly with traditional grilling but with sous vide (hot tub) all I have to do is sear. 
    We do halibut, seabass, salmon all the time. The results are amazing. The halibut last night was med rare, but still flaky and falling apart to the touch. Very moist and still had a hard sear on the outside. You'll love it. My tap water is 130 and that is the perfect temp

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My crockpot on warm holds right at 130.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lit said:
    My crockpot on warm holds right at 130.
    That is perfect for med rare steaks and fish. If you can hold 140-145 pretty well, perfect for chicken breast. Leave them in for an hour then sear. you'll never eat boneless skinless breast any other way. We do them every Monday and then use them all week for quick meals. We usually leave them in the food saver bags until we decide what we want to eat. Then we season them up and sear them off. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Lit said:

Here is the scrambled eggs recipe I made but I didn't do the caviar

Recipe (adapted from Heston Blumenthal)

Serves 2

6 Large Eggs

25g Whole Milk

20g Heavy Cream

pinch of salt

20g Unsalted butter, melted

20g Brown Butter

1oz Caviar (optional)

Preparation:

Pre-Heat the water-bath to 75c

In a bowl, blend the eggs, milk, cream and salt with a hand blender or a whisk, then stir in the melted butter.

Divide the egg mixture in half and pour into two sous-vide bags. Seal under full pressure. For those that do not have a chamber vacuum (I don’t) you can use your regular food sealer. Pulse it to remove as much air as possible without sucking the liquid into the machine and seal.

Place the bags in the water bath and allow to cook for 15 minutes, massaging the eggs every 3-5 minutes. Mine took about 20 minutes but I think it was due to still having air in the bag. They are done when you can see the eggs starting to slightly come together.

To serve, remove the scrambled eggs from the bags and top with caviar and a drizzle of brown butter. Enjoy the best scrambled eggs you will ever have.

Thanks. I will try that this weekend.