Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fire in the Hole! (and by fire, I mean Bacon and by hole I mean the fridge)

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did my first charcuterie bacon last night. Thanks Mighty Quinn for the pointers. I'll let you know how it is in 7 days once it's all cured up. Did the "Salt Box" method where you dump a lot of salt, pink salt, and sugar on a tray and dredge the pork belly through it until well coated on all sides. I then put it in a bag with crushed garlic, crushed peppercorns and some crushed bay leaves.It took like 5 minutes total. Super easy

Can't wait to see how it turns out

·

Comments

• Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
  • Get in my belly
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Is that belly or the Canadian crap?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

• Is that belly or the Canadian crap?

Good 'ol American Belly

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,812
    Canadian pigs must be emaciated if the only bacon you can get from them is loin.  I'm calling the SPCA on Canada....oh wait, it's out of their jurisdiction.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,965

Very cool. Haven't gotten around to trying any charcuterie as I've been too busy getting ready for the Plano Eggfest. Maybe next week. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

How often do you have to flip it?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • GlennMGlennM Posts: 401
    I just finished some with the same recipie using belly (and I'm in Canada). It turned out great. If you beg I may be able to find some photos?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited November 2012
    Griffin said:

Very cool. Haven't gotten around to trying any charcuterie as I've been too busy getting ready for the Plano Eggfest. Maybe next week. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

How often do you have to flip it?

Grif- it's so easy. it literally took 5 minutes to apply the cure and get it in the bag. You flip it every 2 days for 7 days. When it's firm to the touch, it's cured.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,965
    I think the hardest part of it is going to be finding the belly...

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Griffin said:
    I think the hardest part of it is going to be finding the belly...

central market.

·
  • Asian and Mexican grocery stores most likely will have belly too...
    ·
  • Yeah baby! Oh my god This stuff is good.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
  • Nicely done CT :@)
    ·
  • Nicely done CT :@)

Totally hooked now. This is by far the best bacon I've ever eaten. I'm going to the store to buy 4 more bellies as we speak. Going to my sister's for Thanksgiving. Doing a ham and 4 bellies as my breakfast contribution. They will be pleased.

·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,677
    Bravo!  =D>

edited November 2012
    I'm sure they will. Pretty hard to beat home dry cured bacon...tough to fork out the dough for the expensive boutique stuff when it's that easy.
    ·
  • I'm sure they will. Pretty hard to beat home dry cured bacon...tough to fork out the dough for the expensive boutique stuff when it's that easy.

No kidding. I'm a huge Nueske's bacon guy. It's $16.99 per lb. I'm in this for $3.49 per lb and it blows the Nueske's away. Just what I needed. Another fatty pork habit.

·
  • so it was crazy salty so I did the quick blanche method. It was perfect after 5 seconds in hot water. crisped it up in the oven and WOW! This is too much fun.

·
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
  • I've had stikes bacon a few times. Blows that crap away

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I've had stikes bacon a few times. Blows that crap away

Who?

·
  • Just a guy that used to post here. Rotten meat master

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited November 2012
    And I miss him.

I've tried to make bacon, but every belly I've found has been 100% fat.  I will try Michaocana Grocery (Mexican) and Ranch 99 (Asian).  If I don't find a good one there, I'll take out a loan and buy one at Central Market.

Then, I'll pester MQ and CT for the recipe.  
    :x

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Just a guy that used to post here. Rotten meat master

Oh. Sounds like a strange person. I dunno about him but I wish Big Green Dave would come back (assuming he is not in prison). That guy was AWESOME

·
  • There was Captain Peppermill, Massengill, Humphrey Chowden Earwicker and countless others. More than one guy though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • There was Captain Peppermill, Massengill, Humphrey Chowden Earwicker and countless others. More than one guy though

I think there is another Massingill on here...I mean if you consider Massingill to be the king of the D..............oh well, I think we all know who the king really is

·
  • ..............oh well, I think we all know who the king really is
    Ah shucks.  Thanks, CT !   :P

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    any time mon frere :))

·