Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Strange find - BGE stainless steel grid

SpanishJoeSpanishJoe Posts: 28
edited 5:20PM in EggHead Forum
So it's lunchtime, and I'm killing time at my local BBQ patio store, shooing some customers away from a BubbaKeg and toward a BGE, and suddenly I spy a BGE product I haven't seen before.

It's an 18" cooking grid, apparently made of stainless steel, and one side flips up a bit (1/4 of the surface) so one could put in more charcoal. There is a stack of about 6, in plastic bags, and pretty dusty. It even has handles.

The grid that came with my Large is the cheapo porcelain one, and it's already pretty rusty and worn after only about a year. I was looking for a cast iron one, but the rust, and the seasoning, and the sticking, meh - too much work. What I want is a nice thick stainless steel one that will last just about forever. I know I can order one third-party from the States, but in Canada, the importation duties are cost prohibitive.

Is this grid actually an BGE product that was discontinued? If so, then why? Cost? The store is asking $125 CDN for it (about $100 USD) - is that WAY too much? I am sorely tempted.

Opinions?

Comments

• Jersey DougJersey Doug Posts: 460
    It sounds like a Weber grid, complete with handles and a flip-up section.
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    100 bucks sounds a little crazy to me. Cast iron isn't that much work. If you can keep it dry. I have a Bubba Keg...MUG :laugh:
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    It's a Weber..
  • DryFlyDryFly Posts: 351
    You can get an 18" ss from CeramicGrillStore.com for aboit half that.
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    I know, but he is describing is a Weber..
  • Must be. There was no BGE logo anywhere, it was just in the BGE ghetto behind all the Napoleon Grills. :S
  • bodskibodski Posts: 366
    Definitely sounds like a weber hinged grid that you can get for around $15-20 in the states. BTW, I get a large BGE in September and it came with a SS grid, not the porcelain.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

• bodski said:
    Definitely sounds like a weber hinged grid that you can get for around $15-20 in the states. BTW, I get a large BGE in September and it came with a SS grid, not the porcelain.

Ummmm. You realize this is a 3 year old thread, right?
  • bodskibodski Posts: 366
    Oh. I do now...

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser