Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I hate you the most.
    does that mean I win?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    Nola, are you a chemist?
    LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    DocWonmug said:
    Nola, are you a chemist?
    I have a BS in Chemistry, but I've been working as a software engineer for an analytical laboratory company forever.  Still have to deal with the chemistry and math, so I guess the answer is - sort of.  I'm a mad scientist in the kitchen.

Nola,

Mind sharing the US price on the Poly Science? I may order through my US company and grab it when I'm down there

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    It's $799 USD new everywhere.  I paid $650 (amazon, used once, no box).  eBay has them for less, but I hate paypal, so I don't mind spending a little more to not give them my bidness. 

The model CT has is $499 (Centex got a good deal on that).  There are a couple of models that are in the $1000+ range.
    I think the one you have is the one to go to. I think it is every bit as good as the scientific maybe minus some functions that wouldn't be required in culinary. I like the idea of being able to do larger volume and the less counter space.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Damn I got logged out of the forum twice in the past 20 minutes.  WTF?!

Yeah, the pump on the model I'm getting moves twice the water the lower model does, but the heating element is the same, I think 1100 watts or so.  I'm not gonna be boiling 32 liters of water, but I might be doing some turkeys.

Nola,

Mind sharing the US price on the Poly Science? I may order through my US company and grab it when I'm down there

I have reported you to Janet Napolitano.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Options

Nola, I was thinking more like a bunch of meat for freezing.

Gary, If I knew who that was I might GAS

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Steven - you're referring to the monster-capacity of the sous vide head?  Yeah, if you're stocking up for end-of-days, that unit will cook massive quantities of the finest meats.  Which I will gladly pay you for on Thursday.....

No man. Just thinking of doing pork bellies and poultry and the like for long periods of time and having them ready to go for schoolnights etc

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Yeah, the pump on the model I'm getting moves twice the water the lower model does, but the heating element is the same, I think 1100 watts or so.  I'm not gonna be boiling 32 liters of water, but I might be doing some turkeys.

The pump on this unit is overkill... I actually have to close both valves halfway because otherwise I have water droplets splashing everywhere. The newer (less expensive) version is a better option in my opinion. The only other feature that is not available on the newer version is the power failure alert (which is not that important because all clocks on the kitchen appliances will start blinking in case of power failure...)

Sorry, can you clarify "new unit"?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    You just have to watch evaporation if you're doing long cooks.  I believe that unit has a low water level alarm.   These funky balls help out a bunch.

http://www.creamsupplies.co.uk/polyscience-polypropylene-balls-20mm-pack-of-400-/prod_2336.html
    So I gotta buy more crap?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    no man. improvise.  Just get some packing peanuts, not the ones made out of corn starch, the ones that kill birds.  Float them on top and you're good as gold.
    Options
    paqman said:

The pump on this unit is overkill... I actually have to close both valves halfway because otherwise I have water droplets splashing everywhere. The newer (less expensive) version is a better option in my opinion. The only other feature that is not available on the newer version is the power failure alert (which is not that important because all clocks on the kitchen appliances will start blinking in case of power failure...)
    paqman, stop being so damn practical!  I wanted the damn p3n15 extension, and that's what I bought!
    Options

Sorry, can you clarify "new unit"?

Polyscience now has a new less expensive version that sells in the

So I gotta buy more crap?

Polyscience now has a new (creative series) less expensive version that sells for arround 500$ instead of 800$ (chef series).

I own the chef series version if I had ro make the purchase over again, I would get the creative series...

I just got dropped twice too. Can I not just dump some of that liquid pool blanket stuff in?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, Steven, you should buy the cheaper one so I have at least one thing better than yours.
    It's $799 USD new everywhere.  I paid $650 (amazon, used once, no box).  eBay has them for less, but I hate paypal, so I don't mind spending a little more to not give them my bidness. 

The model CT has is $499 (Centex got a good deal on that).  There are a couple of models that are in the $1000+ range.
    Mine was actually $399 and now it's $299-$349 (like a month after i bought it). I like to call that the the Centex Special.

It does not circulate water in the traditional sense but it works really well. Being able to use different size baths would be ideal so there is no doubt the poly-sci is much more flexible and better. I just wasn't sure how much I would use it so I went the best of the cheapest that I could find. I'm happy with it but see the value in the better unit now that I understand it. 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I hate when these threads go sideways :) . Is there a newer version of the PS sous vide one or are you guys talking about something else? You already have many things better than me eg. weather, boudin, tasso, andouille, crawfish, culture and a more fun lifestyle. These are things that mone can't buy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options

Mine was actually $399 and now it's $299-$349 (like a month after i bought it). I like to call that the the Centex Special.

It does not circulate water in the traditional sense but it works really well. Being able to use different size baths would be ideal so there is no doubt the poly-sci is much more flexible and better. I just wasn't sure how much I would use it so I went the best of the cheapest that I could find. I'm happy with it but see the value in the better unit now that I understand it. 

Oh, you have a water bath, right?
    Options

I hate when these threads go sideways :) . Is there a newer version of the PS sous vide one or are you guys talking about something else? You already have many things better than me eg. weather, boudin, tasso, andouille, crawfish, culture and a more fun lifestyle. These are things that mone can't buy

It is actually a new model that came out a month ago (or so). They used to have 2 models, they now have 3.

http://cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-professional-comparison.php

edited November 2012
    Options

Oh, you have a water bath, right?
    Yeah. I have the Sous vide Supreme Demi (the smaller of the 2 models they offered at the time I bought it.

SousVide Supreme Demi - White

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Thank you pagman. I like you way better than that NOLA guy. Can't get a straight answer no way. The last time I researched the middle unit was the one I decided on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    VI has the big version but he's scared of it after he almost killed his entire neighborhood with the stench from a rancid 72 hour pot roast. he has never spoken of it again.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    It's not sideways.  Chill my floppy headed Canadian brother.  I'm just jealous because you have 3 times the number of eggs I do.  :D
    Options
    VI has the big version but he's scared of it after he almost killed his entire neighborhood with the stench from a rancid 72 hour pot roast. he has never spoken of it again.

In all fairness, VI was really trying to make the Katrina diaspora feel more at home.  Bless his soul.