Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok or not

Options
2»

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    muttin said:
    so on my large BGE what size WOK do i get ?
    I would like to know this also.  Looking to purchase a wok for a large BGE.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited November 2012
    Options

I use both a 14 and 16" with "D" handles.  Sometimes I like to steam with a bamboo steamer and the metal handles allow me to close the BGE top.  Also you need gloves to get your wok in and out. 

My preferred wok is a 14" flat bottom with a long wood handle.  The short wood handle opposite the long one has been cut of.  Since I wok with the top up after the initial heating on the wok the handle allows me greater control of the cook. Since it is flat, i can set it on the grill or in my spider legs up or down depending on meal.  Also it will sit on a flat stove top or a gas burner with equal ease.  If you use a round bottom one, nothing wrong, you either need a spider or wok ring.

Here are some ramblings about woks.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1240033&catid=1

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Most of us agree that a 16" carbon steel wok is the appropriate size for the Large BGE.  As you get more experienced, you will want a hotter fire, and the 14" will allow too much space between the wok and the side of the Egg, therefore allowing super hot flames to come up and burn you.

I prefer the D rings.  I don't flip my stir frys like pancakes, and the wood handle only gets in the way.  I have both and only use my D rings.  I find the round bottom to be preferencial because the ease of sliding the chuan (spatula).  A flat bottom works OK, but if you have a spider or ring, I don't see the need for it.  There is also something to be said for "tradition".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Well whoever the heck that VI guy is, I followed his advice to me on one of griffins wok posts. I have picked up the two books he mentioned and I am making my way through them. My spider arrived this afternoon and I am waiting for my new wok to get here. Can't wait to get started. 

So VI: Thanks for helping me and thanks for the great post above.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, Jim.  As with everything in life, nothing is absolute.  You will find differing opinions, and they will be valid.  Only after your own experimentation will you find what is right for you.

A word on sauces.  Several posts lately have stated that they made up sauces as they cooked the meal.  That is great, and I'm sure the resultant dish was scrumptious.

However, I have found that on most dishes, there are nuances, some subtle, some not, that make a dish unique.  I trust the sauce recipes that the ancients have perfected over 3,000 years.  So, I try to stay within the confines of the traditional sauce recipes and I have been very pleased with them.  I never buy pre-made sauces in a bottle, and I make them myself, but I always use an old, proven recipe.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    Options
    When I want a really old recipe, I use one of VI's. He is way old.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    When I want a really old recipe, I use one of VI's. He is way old.
    I am but a poor man.  I owe whatever expertise I may have to the wise men who have come before me, such as Mickey and Griffin.

Travis has taught me that no matter how scummy, distasteful, and vile a person may be, that there is hope for me.  Thank you for that, Travis.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think what you're saying, VI, is, you've been standing on the shoulders of Giants.  And that Travis is instrumental in teaching you to self-confidence to balance on those tall shoulders.  That's sweet.
    I'm not sure if I want to report you two or not. Maybe I'll just flag as trolls.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll just have to start using my rubmy(tiny)rock alter-ego account again.
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Thanks for your comments, Jim.  As with everything in life, nothing is absolute.  You will find differing opinions, and they will be valid.  Only after your own experimentation will you find what is right for you.....snip

....However, I have found that on most dishes, there are nuances, some subtle, some not, that make a dish unique.  I trust the sauce recipes that the ancients have perfected over 3,000 years.  So, I try to stay within the confines of the traditional sauce recipes and I have been very pleased with them.  I never buy pre-made sauces in a bottle, and I make them myself, but I always use an old, proven recipe.
    I am rather a stickler for doing a recipe as written the first time out. To me that is the only way to get a valid baseline for what the recipe and it's author intended. Plus where I am new to a certain type of cooking (like say wok cooking) I am not going to presume I know more than the person creating the recipe. Once I've learned a little bit I may start tweaking recipes to reflect my personal tastes, but I still always make any new recipe as written the first time out. I expect to be woking a while before I start tweaking. I like making my own rubs, marinades etc. and find they are better than most store bought versions.

I know lots of people who seem to, or at least think they have a creative flair with food and like doing their own thing with recipes right off the bat. I wouldn't presume to tell them their approach is any less valid than mine. If that is what makes this hobby fun for them that is grate. My approach is the one that works best for me. So that is why I originally asked about cookbooks on griffins wok picture post and I appreciate the help you gave me. I am enjoying reading the cookbooks and all the extra background info provides both color and greater understanding/appreciation for wok cooking.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.