Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st bisket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay boys and girls I need you help once again. I know this is becoming a weekly thing but hey I'm new to all of this. So here is my sitution. I getting ready for the big weekend and decide I wanted to smoke a brisket. I'm going to the store tonight to pick the best one up I see. Will us a dry rub with mustard and let it sit over night and start it up about 9:00 in the morning. Question is how long to I smoke the brisket and at what temp.? I might also do some ribs but I know that at 220 or 230 for about 3 hours will work for those. It is the same on a bisket? [p][p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    double j,
    Briskets take much longer than ribs. They need time to be broken down properly. I have been using 250 dome temp, and cooking them indirect over a drip pan. They all cook differently, but will take 2 - 3 hours per pound...depending on thickness, toughness, and cooking level temperature. [p]Sounds like you are on the right track with your preperation, but you will need to allow PLENTY of time. When do you plan on eating, and what size brisket were you thinking about??[p]Enjoy...it don't get much better.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • double j,
    I was just going through the archives for a step by step on briskets and beef! Need help couldn't find exactly what I needed.
    Thought I would marinate in a bag with JJ's sauce, then start cooking in the morning. I haven't got the meat yet so I will adjust time to lb's.
    220' temp wrapped in foil with the fat side up on a rack with a drip pan? If that is correct, then for how long before removing the foil.
    This obviously is my first attempt.
    Any suggestions for side dishes.
    Thanks
    Sherry

• Nature Boy,[p]I'm not to sure yet. Probably looking at about a 7 or 8 pounder. I might need to start earlier depending on the suts they have at the market.

• Sherry,[p]Check out Danny's web site at http://www.dannysbbq.com/default.asp
    it has some good advice people have given me.[p]Hope both our first brisket come out great.

• double j,
    Thank you very much!! Good luck too.

• Sherry,[p]Not a problem. Thank is why I like this site because Everyone is helpful. Here is another site you might like also: http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/
  • Nature Boy
    double j,
    Look for a nice fat cap. If not, ask the butcher to cut you some slices of beef fat to lay on top. JJ mentioned beef suet once, which sounds like a great idea also. See what you can get, but a 7 or 8 pounder will probably take 16-20 hours at 250 indirect. Good one to get going before bed!
    Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • double j,
    Thanks!! Just got off the other site it was great, I'm ready to go to the Butcher!!

• Nature Boy,
    I better get going on the marinade to get it on before bed, its morning time here on the west coast, so if it marinates for say 8 hours, that should be okay.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    My husband left on a 10 rafting trip down the middle fork of the Salmon river and requested a bbq for him and our friends when he returns~which is tomorrow!!!

• Nature Boy
    Howdy Sherry,
    I relate to your and double-j's excitement, as I was in the same boat last summer....had no idea, and was intimidated by this toughest of tough cuts of meat. Allow 3 hours per pound to be safe (always better to finish a little early than late).[p]A rub is great, marinades are good also. Mustard slather and a rub is also good. Whatever you want, but seaon it well.[p]Leave the foil in the cabinet until you are done, and relax. No need to wrap in foil, as the egg is very brisket-friendly. [p]Fill up the firebox completely to the fire ring, get a small fire going in the center of your pile of lump (very much like Elder Ward's fire-building technique under NC Pulled Pork recipe). Once your dome reaches about 170-180, put a couple/few wood chunks in the fire, and around it if desired, then put on your brisket over a drip pan (I use liquid/some don't). Make sure it is elevated above the pan enough to allow good air circulation (I use 2 firebricks on their sides to hold up my second grate). Bring dome temp up to 250, stepping down the vents as necessary to slowly cruise into that 250 without going over too much. Once you have a good steady 250, just let it go. [p]Resist temptation to open the egg. If you must peak remove daisy and look thru the top opening. You probably won't even need to add liquid to the drip pan. [p]When your polder reads 185-190, try sticking a fork in. If it slides in and out easily, it is ready. Some people twist the fork....if it twists it is done. Some people say if you can't lift the brisket with a fork it is done.[p]Pull it off, then wrap in foil. Put in a warm cooler with some towels if it is done early, and it will be steaming hot 2-3 hours later. Slice against the grain, serve up with some nice Q sauce, and you will be amazed.[p]Good luck, and YELL with any more questions.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    sherry,
    I have put the rub on right before cooking, and didn't notice any difference. [p]WOW! I am going backpacking Idaho in August, and will be staying in Stanley. Is that where he is rafting??? What a great day for him...rafting, and Q!![p]Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com