Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halloween Chili in Cast Iron Dutch Oven (pics)

Attempted chili for the first time on the Egg using my mothers recipe.  Added two chuncks of pecan wood after browning the meat and adding the beans and tomato sauce. The smoke flavor was fantastic.  I'll never go back to cooking chili on the stovetop again. You eggers that don't have a Dutch Oven are really missing out on some good cooks.   

imageimageimageimage

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    That's it... I am getting a dutch oven.  What size DO makes the most sense for a chili recipe like that?
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited November 2012
    It looks really good - but why couldn't those of us who don't have a dutch oven just use what we would use on the stove (ie, we have a stainless steel pot).  I would think if I could set it in the Egg & put spacers under it, it would be fine, no?? 

Also, can you elaborate on your recipe & cook?  What dome temp did you use?  How long did you cook it, etc??

Thanks,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    tgkleman said:
    That's it... I am getting a dutch oven.  What size DO makes the most sense for a chili recipe like that?

This #12 Lodge 8 qt works for the large egg. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-8-Quart-Pre-Seasoned-Cast-Iron/dp/B00008GKDW/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1351790152&sr=1-5&keywords=lodge+%2312+dutch+oven

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @HH - You can use a stainless steel pot with a lid.  There's really not much difference between that and a ceramic coated DO (both non-reactive cooking surfaces) unless you're searing - the CI can hold a lot more heat, so it will stay hotter longer when you first throw food in.

Non-coated CI imparts iron and flavor - stainless does not.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I just got my 9 qt DO from Lodge day before yesterday. Fits fine in my LBGE. Gonna try some Cow Lick Chilli Next week
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Oh and by the way, awesome looking chili, I'm happy to know someone else uses beans in their chili.

• I bought a box of CI off CL. It had various skillets & an 8 qt DO for $60. They're an off brand, Wenzel, so no worries if they get damaged/destroyed. I got a hankerin' for chili!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I've been wanting a CI DO and this is pushing me towards that hard. Ps love Tervis Tumblers. Best cups ever
    Boom
  • It looks really good - but why couldn't those of us who don't have a dutch oven just use what we would use on the stove (ie, we have a stainless steel pot).  I would think if I could set it in the Egg & put spacers under it, it would be fine, no?? 

Also, can you elaborate on your recipe & cook?  What dome temp did you use?  How long did you cook it, etc??

Thanks,
    HH
    Sorry, should have included the recipe in the posting.  Cooked indirect at 325 for about an hour. NO LID ON THE DUTCH OVEN.  Let me repeat...NO LID ON THE DUTCH OVEN.  I added the pecan wood right before I closed the liod of the EGG.  Pecan is a really mild smoking wood.  On any new recipe where smoke is involved, I like to start with Pecan and then move to stronger woods on later cooks if needed. 

1 lb of Beef (85/15)
    1 lb Sage Sausage
    2 Cans of Red Kidney Beans
    1 Can of Black Beans
    1 Big Can of Hunts Tomato Sauce
    1 Can of Hunts Stewed Tomatoes
    4 Tablespoons of Chil powder
    1 Tablespoon of Cumin
    Crushed Red Pepper to Taste
    2 Chunks of Pecan
    And a Crown and Ginger in my favorite Tervis Tumbler

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That's some good lookin chili!  I love chili on the egg.  I'm sure if you cooked chili in any type of pot on the egg it would turn out great, but I do think the CI adds a little something extra. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I also enjoy dragging out the dutch ovens every chance we have.  Chile in the winter months and BBQ beans in the summer.   Thumbs up for Dutch Ovens!

I have always wanted to do white clam chowder in a DO...that is maybe next.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I also enjoy dragging out the dutch ovens every chance we have.  Chile in the winter months and BBQ beans in the summer.   Thumbs up for Dutch Ovens!

I have always wanted to do white clam chowder in a DO...that is maybe next.

If you try the clam chowder, please post.

Med & XL

• nolaegghead
    Earlier I said you can use a SS pot (and lid) in place of a CI DO.  I just want to clarify the SS will cook much faster than a CI DO, so be careful.  Cast Iron is very slow to transfer heat.  Carbon steel very fast.  SS is close to carbon steel.
  • Earlier I said you can use a SS pot (and lid) in place of a CI DO.  I just want to clarify the SS will cook much faster than a CI DO, so be careful.  Cast Iron is very slow to transfer heat.  Carbon steel very fast.  SS is close to carbon steel.

curious why use lid with SS?
    Boom
  • nolaegghead

Earlier I said you can use a SS pot (and lid) in place of a CI DO.  I just want to clarify the SS will cook much faster than a CI DO, so be careful.  Cast Iron is very slow to transfer heat.  Carbon steel very fast.  SS is close to carbon steel.

HH asked if you could use a stainless steel pot if you didn't have a CI DO, I said yeah, if you got a lid.  (the lid makes it a dutch oven, otherwise it's just a pot).

• Earlier I said you can use a SS pot (and lid) in place of a CI DO.  I just want to clarify the SS will cook much faster than a CI DO, so be careful.  Cast Iron is very slow to transfer heat.  Carbon steel very fast.  SS is close to carbon steel.

HH asked if you could use a stainless steel pot if you didn't have a CI DO, I said yeah, if you got a lid.  (the lid makes it a dutch oven, otherwise it's just a pot).

ok guess I'm confused bc the OP explicitly said not to use lid. And I've seen other people on here making their chili in CI DO without the lid. Thought that's how smoke flavor got in. I assumed everyone did without lid. So if I use my SS pot I just don't get the heat and taste benefits of CI but otherwise similar end results
    Boom
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Note on eating chili.  Try adding a shot of bourbon to your bowl of chili.  It's great.
  • nolaegghead

ok guess I'm confused bc the OP explicitly said not to use lid. And I've seen other people on here making their chili in CI DO without the lid. Thought that's how smoke flavor got in. I assumed everyone did without lid. So if I use my SS pot I just don't get the heat and taste benefits of CI but otherwise similar end results
    It was off-topic.  I wasn't talking about this specific recipe, HH was just asking if he could use stainless pot if he doesn't have a dutch oven.  In this case, I guess if the lid is never used, the requirement is for a pot.  A dutch oven has a lid.   Sorry.
    edited November 2012

It was off-topic.  I wasn't talking about this specific recipe, HH was just asking if he could use stainless pot if he doesn't have a dutch oven.  In this case, I guess if the lid is never used, the requirement is for a pot.  A dutch oven has a lid.   Sorry.
    My SS pot has a lid ;;)

But my main point was that, if I can use it INSTEAD of the DO (with, or withOUT the lid).  I was initially concerned about scorching the bottom of the pot (as well as the heat transfer that Nola was talking about). 

So, if I understand it correctly, a person CAN use a SS pot withOUT a lid to cook chili in the Egg, as long as he uses spacers on the bottom, and realizes that the SS pot will cook the chili FASTER than the DO (with, or withOUT the lid).

Also, I wouldn't want to use it w/ a lid cuz then you're defeating the purpose of getting the smokiness from the Egg - at that point, ya might as well do it on the stove...

Do I under-ma-stand this correctly?? :-B
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    Dude, you totally gotz it.
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    If you were cooking something very low, indirect, I don't see a problem with pyrex. The egg is basically an oven, and pyrex is designed to be in an oven.   However, crank it up, and if you notice when you do wings or ribs, stuff on the edges gets as hot as the sun  - it could crack.  Hot, I mean 400 plus. 

No, I haven't tried it, because I have metal pans.

Pot roast. Check it out. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144829/cast-iron-dutch-oven-pot-roast-pics#latest

Med & XL

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    demo said:

Note on eating chili.  Try adding a shot of bourbon to your bowl of chili.  It's great.

+1 on adding a bit of bourbon.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • nolaegghead
    I try adding a shot of bourbon to everything I consume.  It does make it better.

If you were cooking something very low, indirect, I don't see a problem with pyrex. The egg is basically an oven, and pyrex is designed to be in an oven.   However, crank it up, and if you notice when you do wings or ribs, stuff on the edges gets as hot as the sun  - it could crack.  Hot, I mean 400 plus. 

No, I haven't tried it, because I have metal pans.
    My first wife was cooking oven fried chicken in baking dish made by Anchor.  When she pulled the dish out of the oven, the cool air shattered the dish.  She was lucky she didn't get seriously hurt, just a little chicken grease burns.  Since then I'm leery of glass baking dishes, but I only own Pyrex now.  I would not feel good about using them on the Egg.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Was just at the Lodge Outlet in Pigeon Forge TN and got me a DO.  Can't decide on chili or pot roast for the first cook.  Better half wants pot roast, so I guess chili will be second.

Pot roast. Check it out. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144829/cast-iron-dutch-oven-pot-roast-pics#latest
    I remember drooling over that one.  I've bookmarked it for future reference.  Thanks.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    @HH - You can use a stainless steel pot with a lid.  There's really not much difference between that and a ceramic coated DO (both non-reactive cooking surfaces) unless you're searing - the CI can hold a lot more heat, so it will stay hotter longer when you first throw food in.

Non-coated CI imparts iron and flavor - stainless does not.
    Can you elaborate on the CI imparting a flavor?  I have heard about tomato based food in a CI dutch is not recommended, but a lot of folks seem to make chili in a CI DO.  How much of a flavor? What if the DO is seasoned?  Is this really noticeable?
  • nolaegghead
    Cast iron is seasoned - coated with polymerized oil.  Iron is "reactive" - it reacts with acids and adds iron to the food.  The porous nature of the cast iron holds in flavor from the last few cooks and adds them to whatever you're cooking.  That can be good or not so good, depending on what you have and are cooking.

It's noticeable sometimes.  Can really adds an "authentic" taste.  Cast iron has been around for centuries before aluminum and stainless cookware was invented.