Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

mustard?

MJQ8MJQ8 Posts: 43

What kind of mustard are you coating your pork with? Just a basic yellow?

Thanks as always,

Mike

Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.
·

Comments

• yes, the folks that use mustard mostly just use a basic yellow.  However, in my egg-sperience, I've found that I don't need it, so you should try it w/out it.  On the rare occasion I do need something (other than the natural moisture of the meat) to make the rub stick, I use a good quality olive oil. 

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,829
    Mike, I don't use mustard anymore, but when I did, I used the basic cheap yellow mustard.  It's essentially being used as glue and doesn't add any taste.  If you used a very strong flavored mustard, such as creole, you may taste it in the bark.  That may not be a bad thing.

·
  • We have one here called "sweet with heat". Probably half yellow and half dijon and a good shot of chili with sugar. It's good on its own.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Not to start a debate but have you tried not using mustard?  I used to use yellow or brown mustard but have gotten lazy and don't use mustard at all.  I don't notice any difference, I always have great bark, just a thought. 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    edited November 2012
    Not to start a debate but have you tried not using mustard?  I used to use yellow or brown mustard but have gotten lazy and don't use mustard at all.  I don't notice any difference, I always have great bark, just a thought. 
    I don't use mustard anymore either but when I did the one I mentioned works well. I'l still use it on a pork roast.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I'll have to give the sweet with heat a try on a pork roast. 
    ·
  • I don't think it's available in the US

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,566
    Try mustard and Worcestershire mix on your next prime rib. I coat my bb roast with mustard just out of habit but might try different kinds smoking 4 4lb roast this weekend...all with different recipes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • m8520170 PC sweetwithheat ENGFRE

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,269
    I've always wondered why mustard (a fairly strong flavor) disappears when used under a rub.  Does the prolonged heat kill it?  The smoke?  
    (come to think of it, I've never seen a recipe where the mustard was cooked, maybe the heat does kill it...)

:|

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138684/the-great-mustard-debate#latest

The great mustard debate was put to rest in the highly scientific test i did after drinking a handle of Tito's

·
  • http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138684/the-great-mustard-debate#latest

The great mustard debate was put to rest in the highly scientific test i did after drinking a handle of Tito's

See that Steven? That's how you use handle in a sentance.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Botch said:
    I've always wondered why mustard (a fairly strong flavor) disappears when used under a rub.  Does the prolonged heat kill it?  The smoke?  
    (come to think of it, I've never seen a recipe where the mustard was cooked, maybe the heat does kill it...)

:|
    I made a mustard tarragon cream sauce last night for the pork chops I brined earlier this week. You can definitely taste mustard when it's cooked. 

·
  • I use jalapeno mustard.  My family likes heat.  The mustard cooks off but the jalapeno taste is still there.  When we have guest, I cook with just dry rub.  I agree with my family, not as tasty. 
    ·