Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Think about this with your Turkey for Thanksgiving. Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE).
A year ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the maple syurp, brown sugar, no anything. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/155. I did score the ham deep.

imageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I would love to do that in addition to a turkey. I smoked one but was a standard ore cooked and pre smoked one
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Options

I would love to do that in addition to a turkey. I smoked one but was a standard ore cooked and pre smoked one

So was this. You are re-smoking it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    that's sort of how I do mine except I overcook it a little, the pre-sliced ones will open up like a fan, yummy

you won, it's ham this weekend
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    im a fan of the dr chicken recipe, but this looks great. most of the time i cook ham its for other things and all i want is a smoked ham to start with, maybe this weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DawgDays
    Options
    Mickey said:
    So was this. You are re-smoking it.
    Mickey - can you clarify the ham you're using? Was it fresh when you bought it or was it already cured and/or smoked before you took it home?
  • Mickey
    edited November 2012
    Options

DawgDays 95+% of all the hams you see are fully cooked/pre-cooked/smoked/etc that you see posted on the forums. I like Cooks (named best hams by Cooks Illistrated) hams and use most of the time.

When you have bought them for the oven or your Mother was cooking for the oven they were just being coated with ??? and heated to +or- 135/150 and served from the oven. What you are doing is introducing more smoke on the egg. I have always (past 6 years) coated with burbon, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc on both the outside and injected to the inside. Now I have went back to whole as opposed to spral cut hams.

• Little Steven
    Options

When you have bought them for the oven or your Mother was cooking for the oven they were just being coated with ??? and heated to +or- 135/150

You didn't know my mother Mickey. Pork was 200 plus

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Looks great Mickey .  I did one this summer cause other half likes ham sandwiches but it was a store brand ham..Too much salt for me.  Where do you buy Cook's hams in the Austin area.  Website says HEB but I have not seen one at our HEB.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Off topic, but I laugh whenever I hear about a "ham sammich".  That's what crooked NOPD cops call their drop down guns.

When you have bought them for the oven or your Mother was cooking for the oven they were just being coated with ??? and heated to +or- 135/150

You didn't know my mother Mickey. Pork was 200 plus

Your mother must have learned from my grandmother.  It wasn't cooked throughly until was tanned.  (BTW she was the only one in the family that didn't cook)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Little Steven
    Options

Joan,

My mom was a bit of a renegade. My grandmothers cooked everything to death and then some

Steve 

Caledon, ON