Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessory ?? - Does it Make Sense to Buy Same Sized Second Egg.

Options
2»

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I was in your shoes a few weeks ago and ended up going with your original thought and ended up getting a small to add to my large. I however love the portability aspect even more so after I got the SBGE. I have taken it to a friends house for a pizza party and camping. I did a quick look of your website and might have missed it but did not see a Swing rack or adjustable rig set up to get a second level on your current egg. I would start with that and if you have or still need more room and don't plan on traveling I would get a second large. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Focker said:

@BamaEGG,

Probably get blasted for this, but if all you need is added real estate for BBQ, you could save a pantload of money and for $300 plus about $25 worth of modifications get a WSM. 

This is the little 18".  They now have a beastly 22".   

They made the 22" WSM a long time ago and what a pain it is to cook anything over 8 hours on a WSM. I used to cook on a 22" wsm like 3 years ago and then I was given a small egg and life got much better. The 2nd egg depends on what you need/want it for. The small is great for searing and to have a 2nd egg at a different temp. Also for traveling. I liked having 2 larges also because like you mentioned the accessories are interchangeable but I still have 2 large plate setters, 2 CI grates. A woo, an adjustable rig etc... I bought an xl yesterday and will sell ones of my larges. xl woo and adjustable rig are on their way. Guess my point is don't buy your 2nd egg based on accessories buy it based on what you need.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback, very interesting. I will admit I was a bit worried about igniting a war between owners of different sizes of Eggs. I never imagined it would extend to Eggs and other grills.

Let me clarify...getting another grill or smoker is certainly a valid approach and I thank the people who suggested it. However I already have  working charcoal smoker and 6 burner gas grill I could use, but my question is based on getting a second Egg. I don't want to start grill wars.  Also for me portability is not a consideration, I simply don't need it. When I take a vacation, I take a vacation from grilling. I do most of the cooking in our house, so a vacation for me includes taking a break from cooking. This may be sacrilegious to some, but that is why I say portability is of zero interest to me. I am just wondering if owners of 2 smalls, 2 mediums, 2 larges, or 2xls find the same size helps save money on Eggcessories.  It seems like for me and my needs it definitely makes sense to get a second large. But please my intent is not to create friction between owners of different sizes or brands of grills.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited November 2012
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    When I take a vacation, I take a vacation from grilling. I do most of the cooking in our house, so a vacation for me includes taking a break from cooking.
    Jim

That's totally messed up, Jim.

I'm pulling your chain.  Hey, I understand the need to totally disengage and recharge.  I wish I can get away.  My family never seems to be able to go on vacation, but we go on picnics when Michigan's weather permits and we go to my Mom's every other weekend.  More time than not we have the small with us because my Mom does not cook anymore and I can't eat at Applebee's everytime we go see her (her choice). 

About the dust-up between the grills, a little sparring is ok.  It makes it interesting because if we all agreed on everything, this place would be boring.  My points, of course, were brilliant, insightful and well articulated.  I can't remember what the other guy said.  Oh yeah, he dissed the Tigers.

Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Fred, Fred, take a deep breath, count to 10 - it will all be OK. The egg and the WSM are just two different tools to cook with. One may be better at somethings than the other. The egg can't hold a candle to professional Salamander infra-red grill, but it still does a pretty good job at searing and some other things as well.

I think it may make sense to buy two larges or two mediums, IMHO. We often need extra capacity, but seldom need more than twice what we already have. I would buy another medium before I buy a large because the medium suits us very well 90% of the time. 10% of the time we need more space, but even if I had a large, the medium would be sitting empty while the large carried the load. 
    Great question @jfm0830, don't think there is one answer, just the right answer for each person/family/commune or whatever. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Jim, my apologies.

It was an honest recommendation, which veered off subject somewhat.  99% of eggheads started with a grill that was not green.  I love my eggs, but would cook over a hole in the ground if need be, and have. 

Like you, I respect all kinds of cooks, and cookers.

The "dust-up" was completely friendly jabbing at Fred.  That is why I threw in the j/k=just kidding.  Absolutely no friction on my end, and had no intentions of creating any on the other.

Back to the eggs.  Again, like you, I had zero interest in portability when using the two larges.  As time went on, my desire to use a mobile egg surfaced.  Family and friends own mostly gassers, so it is a good way to bring an egg along for various occasions, not just vacation.  I'm not trying to convince you to buy one.  More like a friendly warning....don't completely rule it out.   ;)

Brandon

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Jim, my apologies as well.

I was having a little fun with Focker and I think I went a little too far.  I like Focker and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.  I own a Weber Kettle and have cooked on it for years.  For me, my BBQ life changed when I first cooked on the Egg.  I used this line on another thread tonight: "There is no substitute."

Jim, I have great respect for your abilities to cook and your photographs have blown me away.  Thank you for making our forum a better place.

Fred

Flint, Michigan
  • jfm0830
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Actually my turn to apologize, I didn't think anything had gotten over the line...YET. I have a bit of baggage when it comes to this forum. One thing I was sure of is I would NEVER be a member. I lurked for 6 months before joining, just learning about the Egg and deciding wether to buy one. For about the first 4 months, when asked, I told Eggheads I knew I would never join this forum because it was too touchy and prickly. "Grate" knowledge but I'd walk on egg shells and be afraid I'd say the wrong thing to the right person-particularly as a newbie. I remember witnessing a flame war when someone posted an off topic post to (of all crazy things) the Off Topic Forum. The silliest thing about that to me was: someone had to go look for trouble to even find that thread.

Now before you think I am some wimpy guy who wants to sit around the camp fire, holding hands, roasting marshmallows, singing Koom-by-a (spelling).... nope. The reality is you would not want to get in a flame war with me, it wouldn't be pretty. The best outcome you'd hope for is a draw. But the thing is I DON'T WANT to get in a flame war with anyone. Life is too short and hobbies are where much of what is really fun in my life comes from. If a place I visit for my hobby isn't fun-why am I there?

I've  actually been sitting on that question for a while. I was worried, based on some of what I'd seen in the past, that I would ignite flame wars between owners of different sized Eggs. There is too much valuable knowledge to be shared here on this board and I didn't want to be the cause of the very thing I didn't like about this board. 

So sorry if I overreacted a little. Thanks for all the great input, both here and in other threads. Also thanks to the folks who have complimented me on my pictures in my time here. That is my second hobby, though I've very much simplified my gear in the last 8 years. In some ways simplifying what I use has made it even more fun. But it has been great being able to combine two hobbies via my site. 

Jim
  • Kesims22
    Options
    I went down that path and convinced my family I needed another Large BGE for Fathers Day (It worked !!!). However, do not fool yourself that you will not buy more accessories. Pizza night is even better with two plate setters and two pizza stones.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I bought a second large thinking the same thing. I had an adjustable rig, spider and a ton of other stuff. Well, since then I bought another plate setter, another cast iron grate, PSWOO2, PSWOO3, stainless steel grates for both, more stainless steel grates for the adjustable rig and one to make an extended grate. I am to the point where I need to buy another egg for my accessories. #-o :-bd

I am thinking I may need a few oval stones from Ceramic Grill store soon because I only have the BGE round one at the moment.

:D

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have a lotta eggs. I only use a two large and mini set up right now. It covers most of what you can do. Soon I will be using three larges. One for baking.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jfm0830
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I have a lotta eggs. I only use a two large and mini set up right now. It covers most of what you can do. Soon I will be using three larges. One for baking.
    Is that to keep down any smoky odors or to allow you to bake and grill simultaneously?
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I've been contemplating adding another large to my collection for baking, as well. Keeps things grease-free and predictable, taste-wise.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    Is that to keep down any smoky odors or to allow you to bake and grill simultaneously?
    My plan is to use one for high, one for low and one for baking and pizza that will get no grease.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DocWonmug
    Options
    OP jfm0830, nobody here ever answers the original question....that's the beauty of the group....
    LBGE