Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter BBQ Side Dish Suggestions

We host several bbq's throughout the year and the mains tend to be pulled pork, ribs, brisket a few chickens and maybe a roast depending on who reserves. 

I have some go to side which are fantastic but I would like to lighten things up a little bit. My standard sides include a spicy four cheese smack and cheese, some corn bread crack, grilled baby potato and red onion salad. I love my sides but I would like to make it is a little less heavy on the cream in the smack and cheese.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Got this with apples from Thirdeye about 5 years ago, It has been around a long time and always liked. Apple, peaches, cherries or what ever makes you happy.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=869043&catid=1
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I think squash on the Egg is great, with just a little butter or olive oil to keep it light; instead go crazy with the spices (try curry powder!)  Bet it'd go great with barbeque.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

A tangy, crisp, slaw lightens things up and compliments BBQ.

Keri's recipe that Richard posted should be in the HOF of BBQ recipes. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Thank you for the suggestions. I love squash done on the grill, I also do a lot of grilled cauliflower and  Broccoli tossed in some salt pepper and a little olive oil (I am going to have to start spicing it up) and I love the smoky caramelized flavor. Since we generally serve 40-80 people at the big parties I tend to save those for my smaller dinner parties.

I am going to have to try the bean recipe.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Susie.  with 321 in your handle, any chance you are in area code 321 Brevard county Fl?
  • I am in Philly sorry
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I don't have any great suggestions...but I want to hear this recipe for smack and cheese ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The squash is a great suggestion. I also love artichoke hearts, preferably wrapped in bacon.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Made this tonight, it was awesome.  Made it up.

Good quality Idaho baker potatoes - bake 1 per serving.

Goat cheese
    Light sour cream
    butter
    garlic powder
    chopped green onions
    herbs - your choice

Make herbal sour cream:
    Mix garlic powder (lots of it) into the sour cream.  Add salt, pepper, herbs (rosemary, parsley, basil, whatever, or just add some DP rub)  Melt the butter, add.  Mix well.

Slice down the potato, squeeze on the ends so it gapes open.  While it's steaming, add the goat cheese.  Fill up with the sour cream herb/butter mix.  Top with chopped green onions.  Bacon bits if ya got em.

This was our entree tonight.   The side was roasted asparagus.
    Cook a 1 lb box of pasta in well salted water ( I leave it just slightly al dente
    at the same time in a big pot over med heat start mixing the following
    For 1 a 1 pound box of pasta I use 5 tablespoons of butter and flour.
    Into the roux, I melt this down and let it brown up a bit. I mix in tabasco sauce, worestershire sauce, a few tbsp of good Hungarian paprika,
    I add in 4 cups of heavy cream (half and half or light cream works well too)
    Then I start mixing usually
    Cayenne pepper (a cap full)
    Anchiote pepper a few shakes
    Chiplotle pepper powder a cap full
    some more tabasco and worestershire (I total about 3-5 tbsp of each total)
    I taste the sauce to see how spicy it is and add more if I need it, I like a bite to the sauce
    Keep stirring so it doesn't burn but you want it to be hot and simmering
    Around the time it starts to bubble I add in a few carmelized onions 2-3 large onions for a 1lb box of cheese
    I also mince a pepper or two usually jalapeno or serrano (whatever we have at home) The amount depends on the heat of the pepper and the amount I am making
    I mix those in and let it come up to a simmer again
    Then I start adding in the cheese for a 1lb box of pasta I usually do about 2.5 lbs of cheese
    I like queso for gooeyness
    old old cheddar for a bite
    fontina
    pepper jack
    some parmesano reggiano
    I generally shred all my cheese first for easy mixing (best use of a food processor ever)
    Start mixing slowly letting the cheese melt
    Once all the cheese is in the pot, mix in the pasta (I use farfalle, orichette, something that holds the cheese well)
    You need to decide how gooey you like the smack and cheese I like it really gooey
    If you like it less gooey use more pasta noodles
    I then put them in pans that are egg safe
    In a medium frying pan I mix 4-5 tbsp of  butter melting it
    a touch of cayenee, 2-5 tbsp of paprika
    2 cups of panko bread crumbs
    I toast off the bread crumbs with the butter for about 10-15 mins over medium heat.
    Spread over the smack and cheese evenly

And into the egg it goes for about 30-40 mins at 350 it makes it crispy on top and gooey below.

Since we are feeding 40-60 people I generally use two pounds of pasta and about 4-5 lbs of cheese and it makes 3-4 pans of smack and cheese.

Let me know if you enjoy it!